Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Neil Sherman <ns...@aimltd.co.uk> on 2001/12/14 11:08:23 UTC

Reading attribute values with leading spaces

 Hi all,

I have an attribute value that has leading spaces and I would like to
maintain those leading spaces when I read in the value, but Xerces seems to
strip the leading spaces from the string that I get back! i.e.

<XMLTAG attribute="   value"></XMLTAG>

I then obtain this attribute value with:

	string =  attribs.getNamedItem("attribute").getNodeValue().transcode();

But what I get back is:

"value" and NOT "   value"

Is there anyway around this?  The obvious solution is to place a character
at the front that can then be stripped off, thus retaining the spaces but I
was wondering if there is a better solution ??

Many thanks

Neil