Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Moussa Fall <mo...@enda.sn> on 2004/11/02 13:33:52 UTC

Automatic rejection

Question from a newbie: can anyone point me to a location where I can find out to make
spamassassin automatically reject spam? I noticed that all tagged spam are really spams and
I do not want users to receive mail with scores, etc.

Thank you.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Rakesh <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 18:54, Moussa Fall wrote:
> Thank you, Martin and Duncan!
> Sorry I did not mention this information. I am using RH9 with Postfix.
> Maybe I can use Mailscanner.

if you use MailScanner then you can specify in MailScanner configuration
to Discard the Spam Mails or simply store (quarantine) the message
instead of delivering the message.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Duncan Hill wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 13:24, Moussa Fall might have typed:
>
>>Thank you, Martin and Duncan!
>>Sorry I did not mention this information. I am using RH9 with Postfix.
>>Maybe I can use Mailscanner.
>

> The folks on the postfix list will thwack you if you use mailscanner, as it
> apparently uses unsupported methods to muck directly with the postfix queue.
> I have a preference for amavisd-new running as a postfix content filter.
> This applies the scanning at the SMTP stage, after postfix has validated that
> the recipient is valid.
>
> Alternately, you can fit spamassassin into the delivery pipeline (procmail,
> maildrop) and have per-user bayes etc.

There is little love lost between the two main developers of Postfix and
MailScanner, and I don't think there's little hope of any resolution on
this in the sort term (postfix developer objects to messages being moved
from queue to another ny a third party piece of software, and the
MailScanner doesn't see any need to recode the whole dataflow of
MailScanner for one MTA when 'it works anyway').

Lots of people use the two together and it works fine.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.

RE: Automatic rejection

Posted by marti <ma...@ntlworld.com>.
Posted by Moussa Fall <mo...@enda.sn>.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:39 PM 11/2/2004, Matt Kettler wrote:
>Looking at the whois records for Deny.org, and some usenet postings, James
>works for isdn.net, and ISP in TN, USA.

Self clarification, it appears James worked for isdn.net at the time. I
have no idea if James still works there, or to what degree he represents
the views of his employer, etc.

Also be sure to read the whole thread, it's quite interesting. There's lots
of "solutions" proposed which more-or-less miss the entire point of the
problem being resource exhaustion. i.e: thinking the problem is calling it
spam, and that kinder wording would solve the problem. Thinking that adding
headers to the message to act as filtering aids would solve the problem, etc.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:08 PM 11/2/2004, jdow wrote:
>From: "Matt Kettler" <mk...@comcast.net>
>
> > At 01:24 PM 11/2/2004 +0000, Moussa Fall wrote:
> > >Thank you, Martin and Duncan!
> > >Sorry I did not mention this information. I am using RH9 with Postfix.
> > >Maybe I can use Mailscanner.
> >
> > Regardless of objections to using MailScanner with postfix (not supported
> > by the postfix guys, but does seem to work for a lot of people) Don't
> > *ever* use mailscanner's "bounce" feature.. It's broken beyond belief and
> > makes your server into a DDoS tool. (Expands the scope of a Joe-job from a
> > single-source DoS to a multi-source DDoS)
> >
> > Many in the community,  myself included, asked Julian to remove this
> > feature, but at least one large site admin with a "I don't care who's site
> > I DDoS, I want to bounce them because this makes mail 'reliable'..."
> > attitude insisted he leave it in. So Julian deferred to adding a few extra
> > hoops to enable the feature.
>
>It tends to get this large ISP tossed into my .procmailrc spam recipe
>that tosses sites that routinely bounce spam to me to /dev/null. A
>nice reliable bounce site is invaluable to spammers. Would you care to
>tell me which ISP this is?

The bounce feature was re-introduced (Julian had removed it) after a long
thread started by this guy:
  James Sizemore   of Deny.org:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0402&L=mailscanner&P=R31065&I=-1

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0402&L=mailscanner&P=R32998&I=-1

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0402&L=mailscanner&P=R33252&I=-1

Looking at the whois records for Deny.org, and some usenet postings, James
works for isdn.net, and ISP in TN, USA.

And also in support of the feature was "Admin Team" of ENHTECH.com:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0402&L=mailscanner&P=R33398&I=-1

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0402&L=mailscanner&D=0&I=-1&P=61971

> > I myself have a standing policy of blacklisting with a 550 nastygram any
> > server generating more than two such messages in a 24 hour period as a
> > defensive measure.
>
>It only takes one bounce that is a spam when opened for me to consign the
>entire ISP to /dev/null.

True, although I'll admit that so far I have yet to get any garbage mail
from the servers of these networks. Who knows, maybe they thought better of
it after getting clue-by-foured with 550's by someone.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Matt Kettler" <mk...@comcast.net>

> At 01:24 PM 11/2/2004 +0000, Moussa Fall wrote:
> >Thank you, Martin and Duncan!
> >Sorry I did not mention this information. I am using RH9 with Postfix.
> >Maybe I can use Mailscanner.
>
> Regardless of objections to using MailScanner with postfix (not supported
> by the postfix guys, but does seem to work for a lot of people) Don't
> *ever* use mailscanner's "bounce" feature.. It's broken beyond belief and
> makes your server into a DDoS tool. (Expands the scope of a Joe-job from a
> single-source DoS to a multi-source DDoS)
>
> Many in the community,  myself included, asked Julian to remove this
> feature, but at least one large site admin with a "I don't care who's site
> I DDoS, I want to bounce them because this makes mail 'reliable'..."
> attitude insisted he leave it in. So Julian deferred to adding a few extra
> hoops to enable the feature.

It tends to get this large ISP tossed into my .procmailrc spam recipe
that tosses sites that routinely bounce spam to me to /dev/null. A
nice reliable bounce site is invaluable to spammers. Would you care to
tell me which ISP this is?

> I myself have a standing policy of blacklisting with a 550 nastygram any
> server generating more than two such messages in a 24 hour period as a
> defensive measure.

It only takes one bounce that is a spam when opened for me to consign the
entire ISP to /dev/null.

{o.o}

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 01:24 PM 11/2/2004 +0000, Moussa Fall wrote:
>Thank you, Martin and Duncan!
>Sorry I did not mention this information. I am using RH9 with Postfix.
>Maybe I can use Mailscanner.

Regardless of objections to using MailScanner with postfix (not supported
by the postfix guys, but does seem to work for a lot of people) Don't
*ever* use mailscanner's "bounce" feature.. It's broken beyond belief and
makes your server into a DDoS tool. (Expands the scope of a Joe-job from a
single-source DoS to a multi-source DDoS)

Many in the community,  myself included, asked Julian to remove this
feature, but at least one large site admin with a "I don't care who's site
I DDoS, I want to bounce them because this makes mail 'reliable'..."
attitude insisted he leave it in. So Julian deferred to adding a few extra
hoops to enable the feature.

I myself have a standing policy of blacklisting with a 550 nastygram any
server generating more than two such messages in a 24 hour period as a
defensive measure.

If you want to reject mail in a less-damaging way, you need a MTA layer
integration that gets called directly from the MTA's pipeline before the
mail is accepted.

Since you're using postfix, your simplest way, as Duncan suggested, is amavis.

You can also make SA a content filter directly in postfix's master.cf. I'm
not sure how this works, but I suspect this will allow direct rejection.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedSpamdInPostfix

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Moussa Fall <mo...@enda.sn>.
Thank you, Martin and Duncan!

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.
On Tuesday 02 November 2004 12:33, Moussa Fall might have typed:
> Question from a newbie: can anyone point me to a location where I can find
> out to make spamassassin automatically reject spam? I noticed that all
> tagged spam are really spams and I do not want users to receive mail with
> scores, etc.

SpamAssassin does not do any kind of rejections, it is a 'mere' classifier.

You will need another tool in the pipeline that can work out what the score
was, and act on the score.

Re: Automatic rejection

Posted by Gavin Cato <ga...@corp.nexon.com.au>.
Hi,

I noticed the other day that the latest version of spamass-milter (I don't
know how long the feature has been there) has a cmd line option to block
mail that exceeds a certain score so this might help you if you are running
sendmail.

What I'd really like to do is to be able to define a separate score for each
domain name my SA server filters, i.e. ;

Abc.com - drop any mail that exceeds a SA score of 20.0
Xyz.com - drop any mail that exceeds a score of 10.0
*       - all other domains, do not drop any

Anyone have any ideas how to implement this?

Cheers

Gav