Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by sasanka pusapati <sp...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/20 15:58:26 UTC

getting error log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) on windows

Hi All,
             I am getting the "file not found exception" error when running
my application using the below properties file .
Why is log4j unable to create the logs directory on its own? This problem is
seen only on windows , its working fine on linux.
Can some one please help me on this.
Error :

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs\test.log (The system cannot find the
path sp
ecified)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)
        at
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java
:156)
        at
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)

log4j Properties file invoked using PropertyConfigurator.configure :

log4j.rootLogger = debug ,console ,logfile

log4j.appender.console=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.console.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.console.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{M/dd/yy hh:mm:ss.SSS a z}
[%-3p] [%t] [%c] %m%n

log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.logfile.File=logs/test.log
log4j.appender.logfile.MaxFileSize=2048KB
log4j.appender.logfile.MaxBackupIndex=3
log4j.appender.logfile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.logfile.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{M/dd/yy hh:mm:ss.SSS a z}
[%-3p] [%t] [%c] %m%n

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance,
SAS.

Re: getting error log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) on windows

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Does the "logs" directory exist relative to the base directory (i.e., the
directory from which the application was started)?  I know it was an issue in
older Log4j versions that it wouldn't make directories.  I'm not sure if this
was addressed in later versions or not?  But you can avoid this by ensuring
that the directory you want the file to exist within already exists prior to
application startup.

Jake