Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Aaron Freeman <aa...@sendthisfile.com> on 2006/11/08 17:58:24 UTC

String handling TagLib

It's hard to believe there is not a commons String handling taglib where all
of the functions available to a String are encapsulated in a .TLD file like:

  <function>
    <name>replaceAll</name>
    <function-class>com.layerz.util.StringUtil</function-class>
    <function-signature>String replaceAll( java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String )</function-signature>
  </function>

So that you can use them in JSTL like:

<c:set var="variable" value="${string:replaceAll(param.source, param.regex,
param.replacement}"/>

Maybe this exists and I am overlooking it?

Aaron Freeman

RE: String handling TagLib

Posted by Aaron Freeman <aa...@sendthisfile.com>.
Ah, I knew it was too common to not exist!

Thanks!

Aaron Freeman

Re: String handling TagLib

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/8/06, Aaron Freeman <aa...@sendthisfile.com> wrote:

> It's hard to believe there is not a commons String handling taglib

You're looking in the wrong place. Jakarta Commons doesn't do tag libraries;
Jakarta Taglibs does:

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/

--
Martin Cooper

where all
> of the functions available to a String are encapsulated in a .TLD file
> like:
>
>   <function>
>     <name>replaceAll</name>
>     <function-class>com.layerz.util.StringUtil</function-class>
>     <function-signature>String replaceAll( java.lang.String,
> java.lang.String, java.lang.String )</function-signature>
>   </function>
>
> So that you can use them in JSTL like:
>
> <c:set var="variable" value="${string:replaceAll(param.source, param.regex
> ,
> param.replacement}"/>
>
> Maybe this exists and I am overlooking it?
>
> Aaron Freeman

Re: String handling TagLib

Posted by ri...@violetshivers.com.
There are a lot of these types of things available in the fmt and fn taglibs:

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/fmt/tld-summary.html
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/fn/tld-summary.html

I've used these to do all kinds of string manipulation, although sometimes
you have to be clever about how you use them to get fairly advanced
functionality.  But for your example, you can just use:

${fn:replace(text, "-", "/")}

HTH...

Aaron Freeman wrote:
> It's hard to believe there is not a commons String handling taglib where
> all
> of the functions available to a String are encapsulated in a .TLD file
> like:
>
>   <function>
>     <name>replaceAll</name>
>     <function-class>com.layerz.util.StringUtil</function-class>
>     <function-signature>String replaceAll( java.lang.String,
> java.lang.String, java.lang.String )</function-signature>
>   </function>
>
> So that you can use them in JSTL like:
>
> <c:set var="variable" value="${string:replaceAll(param.source,
> param.regex,
> param.replacement}"/>
>
> Maybe this exists and I am overlooking it?
>
> Aaron Freeman

Rick Herrick
rick@violetshivers.com

Proud member of the reality-based community

Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.--Bertrand
Russell