Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/13 10:30:00 UTC

Replication configuration

Hi guys,

I have some questions about the replication configuration...

AFAICT, we may configure the server to be a consumer, a producer, both
of them, or none of them.

A standalone server will not be a producer or a consumer
A master server will be a producer
A slave server will be a consummer
A master/slave server will be a producer and a consumer

In any case, a server will always be able to be a producer as soon as it
allows another server to connect on it as a consumer, and get
replicated, so for a server to be a producer is just a matter of
receiving a consumer request.

Am I right ?

I'm asking because I added a flag that allow a server to become a
producer on demand as soon as the ads-replicationEnabled flag is set to
true (this flag is used to start the replication handler when the server
is started). Does it makes sense to keep this flag ? Or should we always
start the replication handler ?

I'm inclined to think that teh flag is a good thing to have. wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Replication configuration

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 11/14/12 7:01 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> yes
>>>>
>>> prior to this flag we have always looked for the presence of
>>> ads-replReqHandler attribute
>>> if it exists we instantiate this class and the server acts as a provider/master
>>>>
>>> If the above attribute's absence can be treated as a 'false' value so
>>> IMHO this flag is spurious in a way
>> The reason I added it is that without it, we will either require that
>> the user add the replication handler FQCN (not very simple to find it),
>> or to start the handler automatically using the defaumt value. I don't
>> find both solution very convenient.
>>
> agree, I just fancied the idea of switching replication implementations
> based on custom protocol implementations
>> I would rather question the fact that the replicaton handler is loaded
>> using its FQCN : why don't we just have a boolean flag, and nothing else
>> ? (if the flag is true, we laod the default handler)
>>
> absolutely, we can go ahead just with the flag except if we want to still allow
> injecting a new provider impl
Then that means we need the flag and the replication handler AT. This is
currently what we have.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: Replication configuration

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have some questions about the replication configuration...
>
> AFAICT, we may configure the server to be a consumer, a producer, both
> of them, or none of them.
>
> A standalone server will not be a producer or a consumer
> A master server will be a producer
> A slave server will be a consummer
> A master/slave server will be a producer and a consumer
>
> In any case, a server will always be able to be a producer as soon as it
> allows another server to connect on it as a consumer, and get
> replicated, so for a server to be a producer is just a matter of
> receiving a consumer request.
>
> Am I right ?

yes

--