Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2004/02/16 08:32:59 UTC

updates required for 2.0.46 support

hi all

a few of the recent changes are keeping us from being able to compile and
run with 2.0.46.

the first is minor - extra.last.conf.in needs to generate a
perlsections.conf with using <Perl > with a space.  this fix is included in
the attached patch.

the other is more involved - the per-directory and per-server merge routines
now use apr_table_compress, which is not available in 2.0.46.  I had
originally replaced what was there previously for efficiency, thinking that
it was the most efficient way to squash two tables together the way we want,
and it also has the nice side effect of sorting the table so that later
lookups are faster (or so I gather).  regardless, I made the change early on
in my fixes, so I never bothered to see if the code that was there worked
with the rest of the logic that was required to make things right.

anyway, so now I guess we need to make a decision as to the best path to
take.  attached is a patch that duplicates apr_table_compess routines if
mod_perl is compiled with 2.0.46, allowing us to use the logic for our
merges.  other alternatives are to drop 2.0.46 support in the next release,
or code the table merge logic differenty (again).

personally, I don't mind duplicating the code - apr_table_compress is the
sole back-compat item now, and if we need it internally it would offer a
nice benefit to users as well in that any supported Apache version would now
have the full API.

--Geoff

Re: updates required for 2.0.46 support

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> hi all
>
> a few of the recent changes are keeping us from being able to compile and
> run with 2.0.46.
[...]
> personally, I don't mind duplicating the code - apr_table_compress is the
> sole back-compat item now, and if we need it internally it would offer a
> nice benefit to users as well in that any supported Apache version would now
> have the full API.

Since you've already spent the time to provide back-compat code, I see no
reason why dropping support for 2.0.46.

On the other hand both last releases have been out for quite some time (more
than 3 months), so if in the future we encounter something that we can't
support 2.0.46 with, we should definitely move the bottom bar up.

     2.0.48  : released October 29, 2003 as GA.
     2.0.47  : released July 09, 2003 as GA.