Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Doug Brower <db...@GadgetSpace.com> on 2001/12/04 14:44:49 UTC

ISO-8859-1

Hello,

Since version 1.4.1 of xerces-J, the parser has returned the error "The
encoding 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported" for xml declarations of the form

	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>

Can someone explain why this encoding is not supported? I understand that
XML processors are only required to support UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings, but
ISO-8859-1 is a common 8-bit character set.

Is an alternative single-byte character set supported by xerces-J? For
example, what are others doing to handle ANSI encoded files?

I would search the archives for hints on this, as I suspect it has been
widely discussed, but I am told that the archives are unreachable due to a
disk problem.

Thanks for you help,
Doug Brower

SAXNotRecognizedException: Feature: http://xml.org/sax/features/raw-names

Posted by jpablo <jp...@spcom.com.ar>.
 I'm implementing a Web Application using the Struts framework on IBM
WebSphere. I'm using crimsom 1.1.3 and xalan-j 2.2.d.13. I have a
problem. When I start the struts action servlet, it parses a XML to
read his configuration. At this point the parser fails with this
exception:

[01.12.03 20:55:36:225 GMT-02:00] fec2bfc4 WebGroup      X Root Cause
                                 org.xml.sax.SAXNotRecognizedException: Feature: http://xml.org/sax/features/raw-names
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.setFeature(XMLReaderImpl.java:213)
        at org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.setupXMLReader(XMLReaderAdapter.java:204)
        at org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.parse(XMLReaderAdapter.java:193)

What can be the origin of this problem? Is really importan to found
this problem soon, your help will be really appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

--
Juan Pablo Villaverde
Tec. en Infraestructura de Redes

Re: ISO-8859-1

Posted by William T Sutherland <ws...@lucent.com>.
William T Sutherland wrote:

> Doug Brower wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since version 1.4.1 of xerces-J, the parser has returned the error "The
> > encoding 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported" for xml declarations of the form
> >
> >         <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
> >
> > Can someone explain why this encoding is not supported? I understand that
> > XML processors are only required to support UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings, but
> > ISO-8859-1 is a common 8-bit character set.
> >
> > Is an alternative single-byte character set supported by xerces-J? For
> > example, what are others doing to handle ANSI encoded files?
> >
> > I would search the archives for hints on this, as I suspect it has been
> > widely discussed, but I am told that the archives are unreachable due to a
> > disk problem.
> >
> > Thanks for you help,
> > Doug Brower

> ... Does "iso-8859-1" work?
>
> --
>     Bill Sutherland (TMS Development)        Phone: +44 (0)1666 832033
>  O  e-mail: wsutherland@lucent.com (Bill)      Fax: +44 (0)1666 832030
> O O Lucent Technologies, Swindon Road, Malmesbury, Wilts, UK, SN16 9NA

... Actually that was a rhetorical question, I should have said 'try
"iso-8859-1"'; it's working for me, or at least it looks like it is. :-)

Re: ISO-8859-1

Posted by William T Sutherland <ws...@lucent.com>.
Doug Brower wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since version 1.4.1 of xerces-J, the parser has returned the error "The
> encoding 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported" for xml declarations of the form
>
>         <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
>
> Can someone explain why this encoding is not supported? I understand that
> XML processors are only required to support UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings, but
> ISO-8859-1 is a common 8-bit character set.
>
> Is an alternative single-byte character set supported by xerces-J? For
> example, what are others doing to handle ANSI encoded files?
>
> I would search the archives for hints on this, as I suspect it has been
> widely discussed, but I am told that the archives are unreachable due to a
> disk problem.
>
> Thanks for you help,
> Doug Brower

... Does "iso-8859-1" work?