Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kurt Buff <KB...@zetron.com> on 2006/06/13 22:19:04 UTC

RE: For those who are considering a Barracuda Network Device serv er

Mr. Santerre said:
> Interesting point there, and I'm about to go a little off topic.
> IMHO, an Admins job should be to learn anything that does the
> job right.

Well, for some value of 'right' - definitions vary, and often what
management considers 'right' differs from mine. However:

> I've forgot 1/3 the stuff I've done. Who can honestly be a guru
> at much of anything these days?  One day you're working on a
> VMS system, the next day SCO. Or working with 5 different versions
> of Windoze servers, and 11ty billion applications. Hacking
> Javascript, to coding excel macros. Working on a CISCO router or
> checkout out a CSU/DSU unit. Managed switchs, converting IPChains
> to IPTables, PHP coding, to replacing some nit wits mouse. (Does
> anyone really remember those crazy undocumented steps in win NT
> 4.0 to properly upgrade DUN?)
>
> My lost point here is that a good admin can RTFM, post some
> questions, and figure out enough of some new app to get it running
> good and secure. Then retain half of it and move on to the next project.

Knowledge has a half-life, methinks. Use it or lose it. Exceptions for the
most painful sets of education - they tend to stick around longer.

>IMHO, for every 1 thing I'm a 'guru' at, there is 200 things I have yet
> to even touch.
>
> Cliffs: Don't be afraid to learn something new, and use the darn
> console! Webmin won't always be there for you! ;)
>
> Chris Santerre
> SysAdmin and SARE/URIBL ninja
> http://www.uribl.com
> http://www.rulesemporium.com

Amen. Forsooth. Verily.

My mantra - I don't really know much, but I know how to look it up.

Kurt