Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Gareth Collins <ga...@hotmail.com> on 2010/05/21 01:35:57 UTC

Problem Installing With com.sun.mail jars From Sun Maven Repository

Hello,

I am trying to install the sun mail jars in a local ivy repository. I am
using the following resolver to connect to the repository:

<ibiblio name="sun" root="http://download.java.net/maven/2"
m2compatible="true" />

The mail libraries are here:

http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/

When I try and install the mail libraries (imap,pop3 or smtp), I have
problems. I see the following error:

[ivy:install] :: problems summary ::
[ivy:install] :::: WARNINGS
[ivy:install] 	io problem while parsing ivy file:
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/smtp/1.4.3/smtp-1.4.3.pom:
Impossible to load parent for
file:/Users/gcollins/Downloads/apache-ivy-2.1.0/src/example/build-a-ivy-repository/cache/no-namespace/com.sun.mail/smtp/ivy-1.4.3.xml.original.
Parent=com.sun.mail#parent-distrib;1.4.3
[ivy:install] 		module not found: com.sun.mail#smtp;1.4.3
[ivy:install] 	==== sun: tried
[ivy:install]
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/parent-distrib/1.4.3/parent-distrib-1.4.3.pom
[ivy:install] 	  -- artifact
com.sun.mail#parent-distrib;1.4.3!parent-distrib.jar:
[ivy:install]
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/parent-distrib/1.4.3/parent-distrib-1.4.3.jar

I see that they messed up the Maven POM file (the ../parent-distrib
directory doesn't exist ).

    <parent>
	<groupId>com.sun.mail</groupId>
	<artifactId>parent-distrib</artifactId>
	<version>1.4.3</version>
	<relativePath>../parent-distrib/pom.xml</relativePath>
    </parent>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.sun.mail</groupId>
    <artifactId>smtp</artifactId>
    <packaging>jar</packaging>
    <name>JavaMail API smtp provider</name>

    <properties>
	<mail.packages.export>
	    com.sun.mail.smtp; version=${mail.version}
	</mail.packages.export>
    </properties>
</project>

I know this is a Sun POM bug, but is there any way I could get around this
issue in Ivy (other than downloading the files one by one and generating my
own ivy.xml to install locally)? I know what the right information should be
(it is correct in the dsn mail module)

If anyone had any suggestions, it would be a really big help.

thanks in advance,
Gareth Collins

Re: Problem Installing With com.sun.mail jars From Sun Maven Repository

Posted by Gareth Collins <ga...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,

If anyone is interested, it looks like Oracle is going to fix it:

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5439923&tstart=0

Thanks very much for all your help.

regards,
Gareth

Re: Problem Installing With com.sun.mail jars From Sun Maven Repository

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.
Yes... with Ivy RoundUp you have to manually download the archives (after
clicking through the licenses, etc.) and put them in a local directory as
described here<http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/wiki/ManuallyDownloadedSoftware>
.

-Archie

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Gareth Collins
<ga...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> I would but won't Ivy round up have the same license issue as ibiblio with
> redistribution of the
> Sun jars?
>
> thanks,
> Gareth
>

> Geoff Clitheroe-2 wrote:
> >
> > I don't think the jar you after is here there but Ivy round up is trying
> > solve this problem.  Maybe you could contrib the correct config?
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Geoff
> >
> > Hey, and don't you mean _Oracle_ published a bad pom?
> >
> > On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Maarten Coene
> > <ma...@yahoo.com>wrote:
> >
> >> As a workaround, maybe you can try to create a local maven repository
> and
> >> add this parent pom to it?
> >> Do you know if maven itself is capable of downloading these jars from
> >> that
> >> repository?
> >>
> >> Maarten

Archie L. Cobbs

Re: Problem Installing With com.sun.mail jars From Sun Maven Repository

Posted by Gareth Collins <ga...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Geoff Clitheroe <g....@gmail.com>.
I don't think the jar you after is here there but Ivy round up is trying to

Posted by Gareth Collins <ga...@hotmail.com>.
It doesn't work from maven either:

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: com.sun.mail:smtp:jar:null

Reason: Cannot find parent: com.sun.mail:parent-distrib for project:
com.sun.mail:smtp:jar:null for project com.sun.mail:smtp:jar:null

I guess I could see if I could manually install them into a local maven
repository...though will that be much quicker than creating the ivy files
directly? Is there a way to translate a maven file into an ivy file without
ivy verifying whether it is valid? If yes I could generate the ivy file then
manually fix it before installing in my local ivy repository.

I have also posted a message to the java.net forums requesting a fix (I
won't hold my breath though)...

thanks in advance,
Gareth

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Gareth Collins <ga...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Karolis Petrauskas <k....@gmail.com>.
Isn't this related to

<ga...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install the sun mail jars in a local ivy repository. I am
> using the following resolver to connect to the repository:
>
> <ibiblio name="sun" root="http://download.java.net/maven/2"
> m2compatible="true" />
>
> The mail libraries are here:
>
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/
>
> When I try and install the mail libraries (imap,pop3 or smtp), I have
> problems. I see the following error:
>
> [ivy:install] :: problems summary ::
> [ivy:install] :::: WARNINGS
> [ivy:install]   io problem while parsing ivy file:
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/smtp/1.4.3/smtp-1.4.3.pom:
> Impossible to load parent for
> file:/Users/gcollins/Downloads/apache-ivy-2.1.0/src/example/build-a-ivy-repository/cache/no-namespace/com.sun.mail/smtp/ivy-1.4.3.xml.original.
> Parent=com.sun.mail#parent-distrib;1.4.3
> [ivy:install]           module not found: com.sun.mail#smtp;1.4.3
> [ivy:install]   ==== sun: tried
> [ivy:install]
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/parent-distrib/1.4.3/parent-distrib-1.4.3.pom
> [ivy:install]     -- artifact
> com.sun.mail#parent-distrib;1.4.3!parent-distrib.jar:
> [ivy:install]
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/mail/parent-distrib/1.4.3/parent-distrib-1.4.3.jar
>
> I see that they messed up the Maven POM file (the ../parent-distrib
> directory doesn't exist ).

>        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>        xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
>                            http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">
>    <parent>
>        <groupId>com.sun.mail</groupId>
>        <artifactId>parent-distrib</artifactId>
>        <version>1.4.3</version>
>        <relativePath>../parent-distrib/pom.xml</relativePath>
>    </parent>
>    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>    <groupId>com.sun.mail</groupId>
>    <artifactId>smtp</artifactId>
>    <packaging>jar</packaging>
>    <name>JavaMail API smtp provider</name>
>
>    <properties>
>        <mail.packages.export>
>            com.sun.mail.smtp; version=${mail.version}
>        </mail.packages.export>
>    </properties>
> </project>
>
> I know this is a Sun POM bug, but is there any way I could get around this
> issue in Ivy (other than downloading the files one by one and generating my
> own ivy.xml to install locally)? I know what the right information should be
> (it is correct in the dsn mail module)
>
> If anyone had any suggestions, it would be a really big help.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Gareth Collins

Karolis Petrauskas