Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Amjad Khan <am...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/24 16:19:17 UTC

Slow Response for less volume

Hi,

We recently moved to Solr Cloud (Google) with 4 nodes and have very limited number of data.

We are facing very weird issue here, solr cluster response time for query is high when we have less number of hit and the moment we run our test to hit the solr cluster hard we see better response in 10ms.

Any clue will be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Slow Response for less volume

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
If your cache is 2048 entries, then every one of those 1600 queries is in cache.

Our logs typically have about a million lines, with distinct queries distributed according to the Zipf law. Some common queries, a long tail, that sort of thing.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Amjad Khan <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
But a zero size cache doesn’t give realistic benchmarks. It makes things slower than they will be in production.

We do this:

1. Collect production logs.
2. Split the logs into a warming log and and a benchmark log. The warming log should be at least as large as the query result cache.
3. Run the warming log with four threads (unlikely to overload the system).
4. Run the benchmark with a controlled requests/minute and enough threads to keep up with that. Might be a few hundred with a large, slow cluster. Run for at least an hour.
5. Analyze the results into percentile response times for each request handler. Warn about any errors or a benchmark that takes too long.

Then reepeat. Oh, yeah, load the prod content first.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Amjad Khan <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erick,

But do you think that disabling the cache will increase the response time instead of solving the problem here.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Are you getting errors in Jmeter?