Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by ap...@gmail.com on 2022/03/14 06:35:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Royale 0.9.9 RC3

This is the discussion thread.

Thanks,
Yishay Weiss

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Royale 0.9.9 RC3

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Thanks for checking this. I am not sure if there’s a strict protocol about the approval script. I don’t think running the approval script before calling for a vote can saved total time, so IMO it boils down to how we allocate time on the release process (voters versus RM). I am open to discuss pros and cons.

ASDoc does get run as part of the release steps, but I am pretty sure it’s run with flash, so that error was not detected.

Does anyone have clues as to what might be causing this?

Yishay

Does the release process include testing whether the approval script works
or not? Maybe we should make that part of the steps before the [VOTE] and
[DISCUSS] threads get sent to the mailing list.

--
Josh Tynjala
Bowler Hat LLC <https://bowlerhat.dev>

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@bowlerhat.dev>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
I just belatedly cancelled RC2 vote, but RC3 vote is still on.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Main Maven build on Jenkins is still failing, but I think it may not be
problem on our sight, but rather something happened with our project in
nightly -> https://nightlies.apache.org/Royale/Royale-asjs/ - it has been
removed for some reason. I think I will contact infrastructure and ask what
has happened.

--

Piotr Zarzycki

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Royale 0.9.9 RC3

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
>Josh’s pick

I meant Josh’s fix of course (being picky here).
The examples are run as part of the step 11, but mvn only. The ant examples are only built after release approval. For some reason MenuExample was working in mvn but not in ant. That’s why the release steps did not fail prior to approval script. For anybody curious to find out why these differences between mvn and ant exist, this is the maven output [2] taken from the CI logs [1]. You can compare it to Josh’s ant output upthread.

Unrelated, I scheduled a daily job for ASDocs example so we can track ASDocs errors, as they seem to be pretty common.

I will see if I can figure out if I can continue the release from the existing release branch after cherry-picking Josh’s pick.

Thanks.

[1] Royale_Release_Step_011 #26 Console [Jenkins] (azure.com)<http://apacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/view/Royale_Release_Steps/job/Royale_Release_Step_011/26/consoleFull>

[2] [INFO] [INFO] ---------------< org.apache.royale.examples:MenuExample >---------------

[INFO] [INFO] Building Apache Royale: Examples: Royale: MenuExample 0.9.9    [195/265]

[INFO] [INFO] --------------------------------[ swf ]---------------------------------

[INFO] [INFO]

[INFO] [INFO] --- maven-enforcer-plugin:1.4.1:enforce (enforce-maven-version) @ MenuExample ---

[INFO] [INFO]

[INFO] [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:3.1.0:copy-resources (copy-resources-debug) @ MenuExample ---

[INFO] [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.

[INFO] [INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\jenkins\workspace\Royale_Release_Step_011\target\checkout\examples\royale\MenuExample\src\main\resources

[INFO] [INFO]

[INFO] [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:3.1.0:copy-resources (copy-resources-release) @ MenuExample ---

[INFO] [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.

[INFO] [INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\jenkins\workspace\Royale_Release_Step_011\target\checkout\examples\royale\MenuExample\src\main\resources\assets

[...]

[INFO] Loading configuration: C:\jenkins\workspace\Royale_Release_Step_011\target\checkout\examples\royale\MenuExample\target\compile-app-config.xml

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
I agree in retrospect that an example that compiles in Maven, but not in Ant, and is not critical for users, should not hold a release. It was good to spot the regression, but ideally that should be spotted on CI.

IMO, the release does not have to be bug free.  If the Maven and Ant build scripts can build the source package, there are no unintended compiled code in the source package, LICENSE and NOTICE are correct, and a few other Apache policy requirements are met, and folks can use the results of the built source package to be successful in their work, I would still vote for release.

-Alex

On 3/17/22, 6:30 AM, "Yishay Weiss" <yi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > The ant examples are only built after release approval.

    Actually, I think I misread the scripts. I don’t think examples are built with ant anywhere in the release process except upon approval. If somebody wants to inform otherwise please do.

    [1] Royale_Release_Step_011 #26 Console [Jenkins] (azure.com)<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com%3A8080%2Fview%2FRoyale_Release_Steps%2Fjob%2FRoyale_Release_Step_011%2F26%2FconsoleFull&amp;data=04%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C220edd2db12743243cdc08da081a10b5%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637831206187637757%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=f5JkRgVY45JlJHgTGT%2B%2FTKbnJ5v%2BRyKh1SK%2FtvnNcqc%3D&amp;reserved=0>

    Bowler Hat LLC <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbowlerhat.dev%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C220edd2db12743243cdc08da081a10b5%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637831206187637757%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=RaNqkkAeVilqvae6EMZ5ZJwlbDenQ4Pe1mRMZyuOxUM%3D&amp;reserved=0>

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@bowlerhat.dev>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.