Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by mi...@euphonynet.be on 2006/09/19 13:54:43 UTC

subversion-authorization (other than authz)

Hello,

I checked on roadmap-site of subversiona nd can't seem to find any plans
to provide a kind of plugin-system to provide additional methods of
authorization . This is a point in which subversion is lacking to my
opinion. I could use apache to direct this, but I don't find this a good
solution. If I would use apache to limit access, those permissions
wouldn't be applied when ssh+svn would be used (which isn't the case).
However, we use trac, which also only shows the content that a user may
view, based on the authz-file. So, using apache for authorization would
allow users to view the content through the trac-browse-feature.

I could synchronize the files manually or using hooks to update the
authz-file, but I'm not sure if that covers everything (have to check) and
a plugin-system of a direct ldap-implentation would be better.

So, are there any plans to implement ldap-authorization and is there a
planning?

Thank you and greetings,

Michel

[SPAM?] Re: subversion-authorization (other than authz)

Posted by Michel Brabants <mi...@euphonynet.be>.
Hello,

it would also be nice to have an api to change the permissions. These could be added to the classes that implement the retrieving/storing of authorization-data (I mentionned them earlier.). I suppose that there could be a general security-interface to the different (types of) data in a repository (directory, file, property, ...) that also describes what security-settings can be applied to them. This interface should then be implemented by the classes that store the security-settings.
There could be permissions who is allowed to change the permissions ...
I know that this is recursive, which might be handy ... I'll leave it open for a moment.

Greetings,

Michel

Posted by Michel Brabants <mi...@euphonynet.be>.
Hello,

Posted by Michel Brabants <mi...@euphonynet.be>.
Hello,

Posted by Michel Brabants <mi...@euphonynet.be>.
Hello,

it seems to be a solution for the moment, although I'm not sure what to exactly think of it. Although it may be good (for the short run), I'm not so keen of it at the moment.

Thank you and greetings,

Michel

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.
I'm using ldap auth at my site.  We do svn+ssh and http[s] access to
svn.  To cover svn+ssh, we use pam_ldap and mod_ldap/mod_auth_ldap
with apache.  Works fine.  For authz, I have a script that runs hourly
to catch updates in groups (we base the authz on groups from our
internal sourceforge site) and puts them into the project config/authz
files as well as the apache (mod_authz_svn) authz file.

Getting svn to work fine with svn+ssh and http(dav) access is not too
difficult.  Plus, if you are using ldap auth for your server anyway,
there's nothing more to do really.

Now, putting svn authz into ldap would be cool....

On 9/19/06, Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be> wrote:
> michel.brabants@euphonynet.be wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I checked on roadmap-site of subversiona nd can't seem to find any plans
> > to provide a kind of plugin-system to provide additional methods of
> > authorization . This is a point in which subversion is lacking to my
> > opinion. I could use apache to direct this, but I don't find this a good
> > solution. If I would use apache to limit access, those permissions
> > wouldn't be applied when ssh+svn would be used (which isn't the case).
> > However, we use trac, which also only shows the content that a user may
> > view, based on the authz-file. So, using apache for authorization would
> > allow users to view the content through the trac-browse-feature.
> > I could synchronize the files manually or using hooks to update the
> > authz-file, but I'm not sure if that covers everything (have to check) and
> > a plugin-system of a direct ldap-implentation would be better.
> >
> > So, are there any plans to implement ldap-authorization and is there a
> > planning?
> >
> This has been discussed before, but there's no real set of requirements
> let alone a design of how that will look like. Feel free to step in :)
>
> Some time ago there was a patch on the dev list which might or might not
> do what you want:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-07/0107.shtml
>
> Lieven.

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."

Re: subversion-authorization (other than authz)

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.