Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/24 11:59:39 UTC

[site] More content on front page

i've added some more content to http://james.apache.org/. feel free to
jump in with improvements.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [site] More content on front page

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> I committed the changes to produce this:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~bago/project/
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> cool :-)
>>
>> like the text flowing round the news summary. wonder whether it would
>> be more visible on the left.
>
> I tried this but was ugly (too many near borders)

good enough for me

>> was wondering whether retaining the news text at the bottom of the
>> page might be worthwhile. news is good for search engines but the
>> james news contains too little explanation for this to apply. not
>> sure.
>
> We already have a news page, I didn't like to have 3 views of the same
> content (box, short news, full page news).

the main motivation is that it's good for search engine indexing but
we don't record enough information so it probably not worthwhile in
this case

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> we could keep a limited list of the most recent stories pretty much
>>> right at the top (five, say) and then link to a more comprehensive
>>> news section at the bottom
>> I committed the changes to produce this:
>> http://people.apache.org/~bago/project/
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> cool :-)
>
> like the text flowing round the news summary. wonder whether it would
> be more visible on the left.

I tried this but was ugly (too many near borders)

> was wondering whether retaining the news text at the bottom of the
> page might be worthwhile. news is good for search engines but the
> james news contains too little explanation for this to apply. not
> sure.

We already have a news page, I didn't like to have 3 views of the same
content (box, short news, full page news).

IMHO the only alternative is putting the full content of the 2008 news
in homepage and leave only old news in the news page (renaming the menu
title "News Archive" and moving it down), but I prefer it as it is in
the proposed link.

Stefano

Re: [site] More content on front page

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> i've added some more content to http://james.apache.org/. feel free to
>>> jump in with improvements.
>>>
>>> opinions?
>> That's great! Thank you so much for this much better home.
>>
>> Maybe the news and the apachecon box are now too much in the bottom, but I
>> don't have a good way to make it better.
>
> we could keep a limited list of the most recent stories pretty much
> right at the top (five, say) and then link to a more comprehensive
> news section at the bottom

I committed the changes to produce this:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/project/

WDYT?

I didn't commit the generated stuff to www because I expect you to tally
jsieve vote soon and to add a news for that, too.
So no need to waste regeneation time/svn-space for such a change in
short time.

Stefano

Re: [site] More content on front page

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> i've added some more content to http://james.apache.org/. feel free to
> jump in with improvements.
>
> opinions?

That's great! Thank you so much for this much better home.

Maybe the news and the apachecon box are now too much in the bottom, but
I don't have a good way to make it better.

Stefano