Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Sergey Korotkov <Se...@mail.ru> on 2004/08/09 19:44:31 UTC

Support for readonly flag

Hello List,

I just send the same as feature request into issue tracker but some one
told me that first this should be discussed there.

So.

We are working on SCC provider for SVN and have the following problem.
IDE "likes" when source controlled files are readonly. Than means that
if file
not readonly it does not check it status when user start file editing,
or it
automatically assign readonly after checkin.
I know, this can be considered as IDE issue, however most of IDE follow
that
logic, and as you understand no chance to change them.
We implement some work around this, manually setting and removing the
readonly
flag. However this makes working copy incompatible with standard SVN
client
(any). SVN can not update the readonly files with error like "cannot
copy
file.tmp to file.real_file extension).
What I ask is:
1. Minimal fix
Fix windows svn client to always remove readonly flag for all updated
files before copy.
2. Good minimal fix Remove readonly flag before file update and restore
it later if it was on file.
3. Implement some analog of CVS "Checkout readonly" option to set
readonly flag
for all committed and initially retrieved files from SVN.

I would be happy if you will consider this as useful fix and include
into 1.1
branch.

Re: Support for readonly flag - PROPOSED PATCH

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Sergey Korotkov wrote:

> Any chance to get response on this?

I'll give you a response, but it might not be the one you are looking
for. ;)

1) Read the section "Patch submission guidelines" in HACKING;
specifically you didn't include a log entry documenting what you
changed, and you attached a zipped patch file (which makes it more
difficult to review).

2) Your patch file is a truly horrific combination of line endings (the
header of each diff has CR/LF, but the body has LF only).

3) Read also the section of HACKING which deals with code formatting;
you have tabs all over the place in your new code.

4) Enabling/disabling features based on #ifdef's is not popular among
the core developers (I know, because I proposed a patch which did just
that ;).

5) You need to be more patient; 1.1.0rc2 just came out and I would think
that most of the core developers are busy with testing that, and aren't
going to spend much time looking at new features.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock