Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/04 11:51:56 UTC

Draft: board report for 2022 Q2

Hello,

Below these lines you can find a draft of this quarter's board report. I
plan to submit it
at the end of this week.
Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections. Note that our
last report got a question from the board, for which I include a proposed
answer in this report (cf "Issues" section).
Best,
Ruben

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

The last report got one comment from the board:
"It's certainly up to you all, but please remember that these reports are
 published, publicly. Are you sure you want to have your names and email
 addresses as part of this (public) report?".

There is no problem from our side. This report has been pre-approved by the
Calcite community and the section with names / emails has already been part
of
our reports in the "community health" section for a while. We decided to
add it some time ago to highlight the contributions from non-committers and
the top reviewers, in order to encourage the members of the community.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (7 years ago)
There are currently 56 committers and 25 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:4.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Chunwei Lei was added to the PMC on 2022-05-24
- Vladimir Ozerov was added to the PMC on 2022-05-24
- No new committers. Last addition was Alessandro Solimando on 2021-12-17.

## Project Activity:
Avatica 1.21.0 was released on 2022-05-08, it was a maintenance release with
dependency upgrades and added support for Oracle JDK 16 to 18. Of particular
note is Log4j2 being upgrade to 2.16.0 and subsequently 2.17.0 and 2.17.1 to
address CVE-2021-44228, CVE-2021-45105 and CVE-2021-44832.

There has not been any Calcite release in this quarter. Calcite 1.31.0 was
planned for mid-June, but it has suffered a small delay. It should be
released
during July.

## Community Health:
The overall status of the community is healthy and stable. We are keeping
the
good momentum in terms of contributions and opened discussions to improve
the
project. This is reflected also on the statistics of Jira & GitHub activity:
-1% issues opened, +9% issues closed, -9% commits, +18% code contributors,
-11% PRs opened, +21% PRs closed.

As usual, we struggle a bit on the PRs reviews, with some of them being
opened
and blocked for a while due a lack of active reviewers. This fact has
triggered an interesting discussion in both the Apache Calcite and Apache
Flink communities about the pros and cons of forking Calcite by the latter.
Many voices from the Apache Calcite community advised against this idea, due
to the elevated maintenance costs in the long term. Instead, we are
discussing
several ideas about how to improve our PR review situation, among them the
possibility of increasing the number of reviewers by granting Calcite
committership per request to people who are already ASF committers (in other
projects) and have a proven record of working with Calcite (on a case by
case
basis to be approved by the Calcite PMC).

The number of non-committer (contributor) commits per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        | contributor_commits |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2022                | 4                   | 15                  |
| 2022                | 5                   | 13                  |
| 2022                | 6                   | 19                  |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

The number of active reviewers per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        |  active_reviewers   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2022                | 4                   | 9                   |
| 2022                | 5                   | 5                   |
| 2022                | 6                   | 7                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

Top reviewers in the last 3 months:
+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------+
|                          committer                           | reviews |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------+
| Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>                               | 13      |
| chunwei <37...@users.noreply.github.com>       | 13      |
| rubenada <ru...@gmail.com>                                 | 5       |
| Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>                      | 4       |
| chunwei.lcw <ch...@gmail.com>                         | 3       |
| hsyuan <15...@users.noreply.github.com>            | 2       |
| Jess Balint <jb...@gmail.com>                              | 1       |
| chunwei.lcw <ch...@alibaba-inc.com>                    | 1       |
| xzh <95...@qq.com>                                       | 1       |
| yuzhao.cyz <yu...@gmail.com>                            | 1       |
| Vladimir Ozerov <pp...@gmail.com>                         | 1       |
| NobiGo <no...@gmail.com>                                 | 1       |
| Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>        | 1       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------+

Re: Draft: board report for 2022 Q2

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for pointing this out Ruben, I didn't remember the email.

Posted by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
+1