Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/07/31 10:18:28 UTC

[REVIEW] Podling Report

Hi all,

here is my Suggestion for the Board Report for Edgent.

Otherwise I think ist fine to send it out like that.

Julian

----------

Edgent

  Apache Edgent is a programming SDK and micro-kernel style runtime

  that can be embedded in gateways and small footprint edge devices enabling

  local, real-time, analytics on the continuous streams of data coming

  from equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors of

  all kinds (for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones). Working in

  conjunction with centralized analytic systems, Apache Edgent provides

  efficient and timely analytics across the whole IoT ecosystem: from the

  center to the edge.

Edgent has been incubating since 2016-02-29.

  1.  Re-creating a working community

  2.  Re-populating the PPMC

  3.  Replenishing the group of mentors

aware of?

  For the past months, there has been very few activity in the project

  There have been a hand full of Emails from external peoples in the

  last 3 months but the activity in the project has been solely by me

  (Julian) .

Julian started an Approach for „Edgent Next“. This is a suggestion to re-activate activities in the edgent community and integrate it as a middle layer between several other IoT or Edge relared Projects.

  The main problem we have is that the only active people in the project

  came in Late and are not that firm with the codebase. Currently, we

  have a codebase for which we have a detailed understanding of the build,

  but almost none of the code itself. Furthermore, there has been a lot of

  activity in other projects and generally edge processing has developed

  further in the recent years.

  Thus, there is some discussion going on about the core or the aim of the

  project to keep its significance and uniqueness.

  *   Total, we have 82 subscribers to our mailing list, an increase of 5

      since the last report.

  *   There have been four questions asked by users and little

      discussions about these issues on the list

  *   On April, 4th, Julian Feinauer has Talked about Edgent on the building

      iot 2019

·        On July 16th Julian Feinauer started a discussion About „Edgent Next“ on the edgent and iot Mailing lists

  *   According to JIRA, 0 new issue were added and none were resolved in

      the last 90 days

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  After the withdrawal of most of the active committers and PPCM members

  currently a new committer, PPMC and mentor-base has to be built.

  Currently we try to re-gain the focus of edgent to

  Start to rebuild the community and resume development.

  [ ] Initial setup

  [ ] Working towards first release

  [X] Community building

  [ ] Nearing graduation

  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-12-14  Apache Edgent 1.2.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  In August 2017, we added Christofer Dutz as a new committer

  and PPMC member.

  In November 2018, we added Julian Feinauer as a new committer

  and PPMC member.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling

through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues

that need to be addressed.

  I just double checked, but it seems our mentors are not existent

  there had been one or two issues where feedback was explicitly

  asked for, but both the PPMC as well as all mentors remained silent.

  Except Justin mentioning the absence of mentors. Christofer Dutz

  joined as new Mentor and is active in the project.

Re: [REVIEW] Podling Report

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Julian,

thanks for that :-) ...

we should really get started with reviving Edgent ... really hope I'll find some spare time soon.

Chris

Am 02.08.19, 17:23 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

    I just submitted the report, fyi.

    Am 31.07.19, 13:15 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

[...]