Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Kristian Rink <kr...@pm-planc.de> on 2005/11/16 09:54:10 UTC

migrating existing site to Lenya - two questions

Hi all;

at first, I just started checking out Lenya some days earlier and by now
am impressed by its capabilities. Currently I'm in the process of
planning a re-design of the infrastructure our website relies upon,
partly to ease content maintaineance by "non-technical" people and
partly to shift the whole stuff over to a Java-based platform in order
to improve the ability of connecting the system to our growing
middleware environment.

Nevertheless, right now and even after slightly looking through the
documentation available, and I'm not yet completely clear on a few
things. So, allow me two short questions:

(a) I'm not yet sure whether to use Lenya 1.4 or 1.2 for everyday use.
Though 1.4 is considered "unstable", I see that some things
("Publication Wizard") seem to ease some things in 1.4, so: Is running
1.4 in an all-day enterprise environment a good idea?

(b) I had a look at the "typical-lenya-setup-1.pdf" to be found within
the "New Publication How-To". Even though this looks completely
reasonable, I'm not yet sure where at all to place, say, global xhtml
templates, css files and stuff that represent our current site
structure. Where should I start reading?

TIA and have a nice day everyone,
Kristian

Re: migrating existing site to Lenya - two questions

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 11/16/05, Kristian Rink <kr...@pm-planc.de> wrote:
> at first, I just started checking out Lenya some days earlier and by now
> am impressed by its capabilities. Currently I'm in the process of
> planning a re-design of the infrastructure our website relies upon,
> partly to ease content maintaineance by "non-technical" people and
> partly to shift the whole stuff over to a Java-based platform in order
> to improve the ability of connecting the system to our growing
> middleware environment.
>
> (a) I'm not yet sure whether to use Lenya 1.4 or 1.2 for everyday use.
> Though 1.4 is considered "unstable", I see that some things
> ("Publication Wizard") seem to ease some things in 1.4, so: Is running
> 1.4 in an all-day enterprise environment a good idea?
>
> (b) I had a look at the "typical-lenya-setup-1.pdf" to be found within
> the "New Publication How-To". Even though this looks completely
> reasonable, I'm not yet sure where at all to place, say, global xhtml
> templates, css files and stuff that represent our current site
> structure. Where should I start reading?

I believe most software has enough issues that using some that the
developers call unstable is asking for trouble.  If your goal is to
help make Lenya the best CMS ever, then please use 1.4.  If your goal
is to have a stable production website, then use 1.2.

===
About the "Publication Wizard" and the "New Publication How-To":  Do
you need more than one publication?  If not, neither affects you.  You
can just modify the "default" publication.

The main purpose of publications is to separate security lists.  If
you have completely separate security requirements for different
websites, you may want multiple publications.  Hosting websites with
completely different lists of users would be a good use of multiple
publications.

You could allow users to create publications for a single purpose (and
you want 1.4 for that), but they could just create pages within an
existing publication  You could use a different publication for each
display format, but it may be easier to define multiple layouts within
a single publication.  Most functional differences that do not affect
security (and some that do) can be handled within a single
publication; having one or more publications is a design decision.

Welcome to Lenya,
solprovider