Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/18 22:00:39 UTC

Getting Started Guide (Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

>> We never had a Getting Started guide. We need one. And because it's so
>> hard for someone "in the know" not to assume knowledge, we may need
>> the help of some total n00bs to get this guide written -- to see where
>> they get stuck and waste time looking for answers, and write those
>> things in the guide. But that's a subject for another thread.
> I can probably help there,  being the total n00b that is :-) I’ve not used Nuttx but have some RTOS experience. I’m also a part time teacher.

That is great that you could commit.  I notice that you are the Chair of
the Mynewt project, so you must have some familiarity. Ben ve Veen has
started a Getting Started Book and, as I recall, even has a publisher in
mind.  He posted his status in the original thread the I renamed.
Perhaps you could discuss ways to collaborate?

OT:  I now recall the name of person that discussed incorporating Mynewt
IoT components into NuttX.  It was James Pace (and another person).  But
I do not see him on the roster.  I thought he was involved in the
project, but now I think he just wanted to incorporated the components
for some other reason.

Re: Getting Started Guide (Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

>> A little. :-)  I've worked on a few commercial projects in recent
>> years and way back I did SCADA and real time systems and been
>> involved as a hobbyist for 15 or so years. I’m spoken at the Open
>> Hardware Summit and given a number of IoT and MyNewt talks at various
>> conferences, and run basic Arduino courses. I organise the IoT meetup
>> here in Sydney. One of the reasons I put my hand up to mentor this
>> project, but I’ve never used NuttX.
>
> You will find it is a little "beefier" than Mynewt or Arduino. It is a
> full Linux compatible RTOS (but much, much smaller than LInux).  So
> working with NuttX is a little more like working with Linux than with
> other really tiny RTOSs.  Somewhere in between. NuttX apps are
> definitely like Linux apps.  That is a consequence of the portable
> POSIX OS interface.  Most Linux code can be made run on NuttX (but
> often with having to bring some less-than-standard Linux definitions,
> and dealing with all of the libraries used in Linux development).
Aside from the standard POSIX/Unix interface, another big difference
between NuttX and the very tiny RTOSs is that, like Linux/Unix, NuttX is
very console oriented.  Certainly there are many NuttX embedded systems
that are field "headless", but most included a usb, serial, or telnet
console and a tiny bash-like shell if only during at least during
development.  Of course name of the shell is the NuttShell (NSH) ;-)

Re: Getting Started Guide (Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019, 5:06 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Nhi,
>
> > This conversation got me thinking: would we want a repository to write a
> > community-written-and-maintained NuttX book?
> >
> > I think this would have a couple of advantages:
> >
> > (1) Keeps the "official" documentation within the umbrella of the
> project.
> >
> > (2) Provides an additional way for people to contribute to Apache NuttX.
> > (Not all contributions need to be code; not all contributors need to be
> > software people.)
>
> Excellent idea. You might want to look at what the Apache Training project
> is doing or perhaps consider (if you have not) using asciidoctor. [1]
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. https://asciidoctor.org

I posted this previously but it got split between the mailing lists.

This is actually an area where the Rust team has done an amazing job. There
are several books both online and sometimes print that are up-to-date,
covering both the intro and domain specific topics.

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/
https://doc.rust-lang.org/rust-by-example/
https://rust-cli.github.io/book/
https://rust-embedded.github.io/book/

Long as we do some form of markdown there are lots of options. gitbook,
mdbook, Sphinx, etc...

--Brennan

Re: Getting Started Guide (Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com.INVALID>.
Nhi,

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
>>> This conversation got me thinking: would we want a repository to write a
>>> community-written-and-maintained NuttX book?
>> Like https://nuttx_projects.gitlab.io/nuttx_book/
>>
> And whose project is that?
It is very old.  phreakuencies is v01d and, I think that is the old
handle for Matias N. (Nitzche)

Re: Getting Started Guide (Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 5:20 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> > Ben ve Veen has started a Getting Started Book and, as I recall, even
> has a publisher in mind.  He posted his status in the original thread the I
> renamed.  Perhaps you could discuss ways to collaborate?
>
> I saw that. I have published a book (on Android), writing it was a large
> amount of work and so I might be able to help out, but my bandwidth is
> limited.

This conversation got me thinking: would we want a repository to write a
community-written-and-maintained NuttX book?

I think this would have a couple of advantages:

(1) Keeps the "official" documentation within the umbrella of the project.

(2) Provides an additional way for people to contribute to Apache NuttX.
(Not all contributions need to be code; not all contributors need to be
software people.)

Just a thought,
Nathan

Re: Getting Started Guide (Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,