Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Beshai <pb...@hotmail.com> on 2006/10/19 19:54:01 UTC

Cancel upload during form submit

If you are using an upload component the same way as shown on
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/components/form/upload.html in the
examples section, is it possible to have the form's cancel button stop the
upload process? I have tried using a Submit component of type cancel but the
listeners I attach to it aren't called if I click it after having already
clicked the forms submit button. Even if they were called, I'm not sure
exactly how I would tell the page to stop running the upload methods (would
I have to put a check in the loop??)

Peter Beshai

Re: Cancel upload during form submit

Posted by Sam Gendler <sg...@ideasculptor.com>.
The stateless nature of http means it is pretty difficult to affect
one request by issuing another. There is no natural way for the server
to associate the two requests. They will have different instances of
the same page class.  so there is no built in mechanism to do this.
You could store a flag in some globally accessible location and have
one request modify the flag and another request checking the flag
before continuing in a loop, but you'd have to ensure threadsafe
access to the global location - presumably the session/engine. But I
don't have much experience with Tapestry's upload component.  Does
tapestry allow the page to control the process of reading the file
from the socket, or does it not even call into the listener until
after the entire file is received.  If that is the case, there really
is nothing you can easily do to interrupt the upload process.

--sam