Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stefan Fritz <sf...@progress.com> on 2008/11/24 22:10:13 UTC

How to version modules when using different parents per module

Hi all,

We have multiple projects which should be built using a module build.
Each project is of a different type and therefore has a different parent
pom (not the module build pom!).

Now my problem is that I want to maintain the version at a central
place. The only solution I could think of is to have one master pom
where I define the module versions as properties in this pom.
As we will have many module builds this although will lead to a chaos
when branching multiple  module builds.

Is there a way to have:

   - projects built via a module build
   - a central place for maintaining the modules version
   - different parents per project in my module build

   ?

Thanks
Stefan

Re: How to version modules when using different parents per module

Posted by Stefan Fritz <sf...@gmx.at>.
Brett,

We thought about adding the version numbers to a master pom but this
would cause trouble if we start branching.
I guess we will have to move away from our "project type" specific poms
to a single master pom and then we can use the moude-build pom  to
define the versions.

Thanks
Stefan

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.