Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/05 02:11:48 UTC

Re: Commons EL

OK theres no interest in Commons here but, thinking about it, location
is minor - the real issue is about having a separatly released
artifact that other projects can depend on - which Tomcat could do
with EL. Any chance of a separate EL release (with a jar in the maven
repo)?

I noticed today that Geronimo copied the Tomcat 6 EL implementation
[3] and now appear to be maintaing it independantly[4][5] - they have
also published it as a separate artifact[6] in the maven repo.

Seems a shame to duplicate and waste effort in this way - and I can
think of quite a few projects that could benefit by plugging in the
standard EL.

Niall

[3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=481390
[4] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=514550
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2930
[6] http://tinyurl.com/2g8oek

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > OK theres no interest in Commons here but, thinking about it, location
> > is minor - the real issue is about having a separatly released
> > artifact that other projects can depend on - which Tomcat could do
> > with EL. Any chance of a separate EL release (with a jar in the maven
> > repo)?
> I'm not an EL expert by any way, but the reason there might not be any
> interest, is because no one has time to take and replace an EL
> implementation.
> If you need additional individual JARs from tomcat published to the
> repo, just let me know and I can get it done.
> http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/m2-repository/org/apache/tomcat/jasper-el/
>

> > I noticed today that Geronimo copied the Tomcat 6 EL implementation
> > [3] and now appear to be maintaing it independantly[4][5] - they have
> > also published it as a separate artifact[6] in the maven repo.
> That is their prerogative, we don't encourage this, but the license
> doesn't stop anyone from doing so.
>

> > Seems a shame to duplicate and waste effort in this way - and I can
> > think of quite a few projects that could benefit by plugging in the
> > standard EL.
> I agree, we're not in a place in our development cycle to be swapping
> out a library. That happens only early in a development cycle or a major
> release.
> We've just released a stable version, another one coming out, so stuff
> like this would go to something like a 6.x where x>0.

I wasn't aware of the Tomcat maven repo (with the EL jar published)
until someone mentioned it on IRC yesterday - which was after I posted
here. Chatting to some of the geronimo people - seems that their main
desire is/was also a version on the normal public ibiblio repo and
Tomcat moving to that would probably remove the need for their copy.
So from my perspective and I think theres thats the only real
issue/desire that remains.

> Hope this explains it, I don't think anyone is ignoring you

thanks

Niall

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
FYI, I created a patch for the Maven Ant tasks, which allow you to attach
files (in the same way that things can attach files in Maven).  I thought
Jason released this, though looks like it might still be in process.
Anyways, the issue is here:

    http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MANTTASKS-42

If you use the new tasks, then you should be able to:

    <artifact:deploy file="somefile.jar">
        <pom file="somefile.pom" />
        <remoteRepository refid="deploy.repository" />
        <attach file="somefile.pom.asc" type="pom.asc"/>
        <attach file="somefile.jar.asc" type="jar.asc"/>
    </artifact:deploy>

Then your ant build can generate jars and sign them as well as poms however
you like, then use this task to deploy them to the Maven repository.

I whipped this up for you guys specifically... I hope you can integrate this
and get your deployment issues sorted.

If you need more help please let me know.  Though I'm not subscribed to this
list (i've already got a ton of email to sort through each day, but if you
ping jdillon@apache.org, I'd be more than happy to help you guys if I can).

Cheers,

--jason

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:

> still haven't got around the fact that maven command line has the
> limitation around simply being able to attach a signature and send it up.
> do you have a script that does what you say, that will prevent me from
> having to duplicate this effort.

It's probably more manual effort than you'll want, and can surely be
improved, but...

Since you're using 'mvn deploy:deploy-file' [1], Maven will put the
jars in your local Maven repo as part of the deployment.

So, if you delete ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomcat/ (from your local
repo) before doing the deployment, you'll have a local directory
structure matching what you just deployed to the remote repo.

Run (something like) this from ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomcat/ :

# Recursively pgp sign files in a directory structure
# Adapted from: http://gleamynode.net/wordpress/archives/129

echo -n "PGP Key Password: "
stty -echo
read PASSWORD
stty echo
echo ""

for FILE in $(find . -name "*.jar" -or -name "*.pom"); do

   echo -n "Signing: $FILE ... "

   echo "$PASSWORD" | gpg --default-key "$DEFAULT_KEY" --detach-sign
--armor --no-tty --yes --passphrase-fd 0 "$FILE" && echo done.

done

Then upload the signatures:

for FILE in $(find . -name "*.asc"); do

   scp $FILE people.apache.org:/www/tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/m2-repository/org/apache/tomcat/$FILE

done

Once you're sure it works, switch over and deploy/upload directly to
people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository, and it will sync
automatically with central.

I also opened an issue to see about making signing work with deploy:deploy-file:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MGPG-7

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/res/maven/mvn-pub.xml

--
Wendy

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Paul McMahan wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up.  I made the copy for Geronimo as part of a
> bigger effort[7] to integrate TC6 with Geronimo 2.0  The underlying
> motivation was to have the spec jars available in a m2 repo, so I
> followed a precedent I noticed for the servlet 2.5 spec[8].

Yes, it's only javax.el. I think you need it.

Rémy

Re: Commons EL

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for bringing this up.  I made the copy for Geronimo as part of
a bigger effort[7] to integrate TC6 with Geronimo 2.0  The underlying
motivation was to have the spec jars available in a m2 repo, so I
followed a precedent I noticed for the servlet 2.5 spec[8].

Since that time the tomcat jars are now being published to tomcat's
maven repo[9].  I'm certainly not in favor of duplicating effort so I
think Geronimo should consider using the jars in the tomcat repo now
and I will approach the Geronimo team with that idea.  However, there
have recently been concerns raised in Geronimo about importing from
"non-standard" (sorry I can't think of a better word) maven repos,
and there was also an issue with copyrights in certain schemas in the
TC6 tree (which have been replaced in Geronimo's spec jars).  So I'm
unsure how the discussion will turn out.

Best wishes,
Paul

[7] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg37311.html
[8] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=417806