Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arunan Kannan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/11 13:17:25 UTC

Tomcat shutdowns unexpectedly - Please help

Hi,

Please help me in guiding to find out the root cause of this problem.

Tomcat Version: jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31
Server OS: SUN OS 5.8
JDK version: j2sdk1.4.2_11

Initially the tomcat server is running perfectly and there is no problem.
There is no operation done on the server. Simply it is kept idle.
After some 3 or 4 hours the tomcat gets shutdown unexpectedly.

This happens repeatedly. Whenever I start the server, after some 3 or 4
hours it gets stopped.
There is not enough log to find the cause.

I have posted this query in lot of forum and still it is a hard luck.
I configured debug=5 in server.xml under conf directory to get maximum log,
then also no use.
There is no application running in the tomcat server.

Simply the when tomcat is started in this SUN server after a few ours it
stops always.
Please help me.
Please let me know if I need to give more information.

Thanks in advance,
Thanks and Regards,
Arunan

RE: Tomcat shutdowns unexpectedly - Please help

Posted by "Mead, Jennifer L - VSCM" <Me...@vectorscm.com>.
Are you the unix admin?  Or do you have an unix admin to help out?
There is limited things one can do without being root.  The easy stuff
to do is check out how much memory there is, how much Gig on that
particular machine, look at the swap size that is configured, run "ipcs"
to look at what memory is loaded and how it is being used, compare that
to the other boxes.  Possibly "top" is loaded on the boxes.  The system
admin has other tools available to them that help further.  You can send
your core dumps off to SUN.  If you have the machines configured exactly
the same in every way yet one is dieing then I suspect it is hardware
related.

Jen

Posted by Arunan Kannan <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mead, Jennifer L - VSCM" <Me...@vectorscm.com>.

Posted by Arunan Kannan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arunan Kannan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi David, Martin, and Alireza,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
I would also look at workers.properties files and make sure socket_KeepAlive is set on
Also socket_timeout is set to 0 so it never times out

M-

> I hope I get it correctly, the Tomcat shutdowns when it is ideal. That means no one is working with it and there is no connection to it.
> If I assume correct and this is the case, please let me know if this shutdown happens when there are some connections to it.
> We had this problem once with Apache and OracleAS, the OracleAS shouted down itself when it does not received any requests (made a suicide!) We end up writing a small program which was connected to Tomcat every 10 min and requested a dummy page. It solved it.
>
> P.S: Did you configure your Tomcat with Apache?
>
> Hope it helps you!
>

> Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote: If the app is crashing then you would see exceptions thrown in wither catalina.out / stdout_YYYYMMDD.log / stderr_YYYYMMDD.log
> If the service is crashing on startup(misconfigured JVM, startup jars missing) then check the jakarta_service_YYYYMMDD.log
>
> HTH,
> Martin--
> addressed.  If you have received this email message in error, please notify

~Regards,
~~Alireza Fattahi

Re: Tomcat shutdowns unexpectedly - Please help

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.