Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by JS...@aol.com on 2014/04/12 10:49:34 UTC

Who is "SourceForge"??

I want to download your "OpenOffice.org", but I noticed the name
SourceForge, which I have never seen before.  I started to download it, but
something about it looked suspicious, so I did not finish installing it.

Could you please help - I don't want to install this on my computer, IF it
is a dangerous file.
Jan Scott

Re: Who is "SourceForge"??

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 12, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Harrie Westphal <ha...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 12, 2014, at 3:49 AM, JScott4607@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I want to download your "OpenOffice.org", but I noticed the name
>> SourceForge, which I have never seen before.  I started to download it, but
>> something about it looked suspicious, so I did not finish installing it.

Source code is maintained at the Apache Software Foundation by the Apache OpenOffice project. See http://OpenOffice.Apache.org/.

SourceForge has served over 100,000,000 million downloads of Apache OpenOffice as a gracious service to the community.

SourceForge also hosts the extensions and templates sites.

Wikis, the forums and OpenOffice.org are hosted at the ASF on Apache infrastructure.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Who is "SourceForge"??

Posted by Harrie Westphal <ha...@frontiernet.net>.

Re: Who is "SourceForge"??

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.
*SourceForge* is a web-based source code
repository<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code_repository>.
It acts as a centralized location for software developers to control and
manage free and open
source<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open_source>software
development. It was the first to offer this service for free to
open source projects.[2]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#cite_note-earthweb2007-2>
[*discuss
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:SourceForge#notability_claim_versus_source>*
] The website runs a version of SourceForge Enterprise
Edition<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge_Enterprise_Edition>,
forked <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29> from
the last open-source version available. As of March 2014, the SourceForge
repository hosts more than 430,000 projects and has more than 3.7 million
registered users,[3]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#cite_note-what-is-sourceforge-3>although
not all are active. The domain *sourceforge.net
<http://sourceforge.net>* attracted at least 33 million visitors by August
2009 according to a Compete.com
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compete.com>survey.
[4] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#cite_note-compete1-4>

SourceForge offers free access to hosting and tools for developers of
free<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software>/ open
source software <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software>,
competing with other providers such as
GitHub<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub>,
RubyForge <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RubyForge>,
Tigris.org<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigris.org>,
BountySource <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BountySource>,
Launchpad<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchpad_%28website%29>,
BerliOS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BerliOS>,
JavaForge<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaForge>,
GNU Savannah <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Savannah>, and
Gitorious<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gitorious>
.

--
My Avocation: Building "Knowledge Networks" where participants share, learn
and grow

"Speak softly and carry a large microphone" Bill Blinn
-----

Re: Who is "SourceForge"??

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 12 Apr 2014, at 9:47 pm, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> James Knott wrote:
>> JScott4607 wrote:
>>> I want to download your "OpenOffice.org", but I noticed the name
>>> SourceForge, which I have never seen before. ...
>> Sourceforge is a well known site for downloading open source software.
>> There's nothing wrong with downloading something from there.
>
> A further clarification for the original poster: the official OpenOffice downloads are indeed served through the SourceForge infrastructure. So it's normal that the official download page http://www.openoffice.org/download/ redirects you to SourceForge.

Probably a god idea to mention the redirection on the download page.

Re: Who is "SourceForge"??

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Who is "SourceForge"??

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
JScott4607@aol.com wrote:
> I want to download your "OpenOffice.org", but I noticed the name
> SourceForge, which I have never seen before.  I started to download it, but
> something about it looked suspicious, so I did not finish installing it.
>
> Could you please help - I don't want to install this on my computer, IF it
> is a dangerous file.
> Jan Scott

Sourceforge is a well known site for downloading open source software.
There's nothing wrong with downloading something from there.  What was
suspicious?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourceforge