Posted to users@maven.apache.org by rajesh singh <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2004/08/03 16:42:42 UTC

Please Help..."Malformed \uxxxx encoding" error while executing maven

Hi,

Sorry if this issue had been raised before but i could
not trace any solution for this. So, I am mailing it
over here.

When I am trying to run the command maven on the
command prompt I am getting the error "java.lang.
IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding."

The complete error message is :-

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx
encoding.
        at
java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:387)
        at
java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:335)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginCacheManager.loadProperties(PluginCacheManager.java:423)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginCacheManager.loadCache(PluginCacheManager.java:439)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.initialize(PluginManager.java:254)
        at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initializePluginManager(MavenSession.java:293)
        at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initialize(MavenSession.java:233)
        at
org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:532)
        at
org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1109)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
        at
        at
        at
        at
com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
        at
com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)

I have gone through the "PluginCacheManager.java" of
the maven and "Properties.java" of java.util but could
not find the solution. Earlier maven was running on
all the projects but now it is giving the same error
message in all the projects, so i feel there is no
problem as far as project.xml and project.properties
of a single project is concerned.

Please help me out of this problem, it has been
troubling me from past many days.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajesh Kumar Singh.

Re: Please Help..."Malformed \uxxxx encoding" error while executing maven

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Have you gone through your ~/build.properties file and (possibly) your
project.properties files to make sure you don't have some incorrectly
escaped characters (remember, "\" is the escape character in java
strings)...or maybe a byte literal that is incorrectly formatted?

This is a failure in the java.util.Properties class, if you notice from
the stack trace, so it's probably not anything that maven can affect...

Also, please don't cross-post your messages. This message is appropriate
for the maven-users list, as is all non-maven-development traffic. If
you're not modifying maven itself, you probably shouldn't be mailing to
maven-dev.

HTH,
john

John Casey
jdcasey@commonjava.org
CommonJava Open Components Project
http://www.commonjava.org

Re: Please Help..."Malformed \uxxxx encoding" error while executing maven

Posted by Erik Husby <mh...@broad.mit.edu>.
Check your property files, somewhere you have got a string with a
unicode character sequence that is bad. Java
property files need to have the backslash character quoted, ie. instead
of "dir=z:\tmp" you would want to use "dir=z:\\tmp"

--
Erik Husby
Team Lead for Software Quality Automation

RE: Please Help..."Malformed \uxxxx encoding" error while executing maven

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Also delete  $HOME/.maven/plugins if it exists (and upgrade to Maven 1.0 if
you're not already using it)

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,