Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by heikki <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/11 13:53:57 UTC

Re: [Axis2] Plz help adding logging module server-side

Hello,

I'm still trying to deploy the sample logging module, server-side.
Unfortunately no-one has answered my previous post.. I'll try to state my
questions very briefly and clear, hopefully someone has some answers :

- where can I find a description of exactly what is the meaning of, and
relation between, each module-, phase- and handler-related element in
axis2.xml, modules.xml and services.xml ? What does it mean, for example, if
the class attribute in the module or in the phase elements is absent /
present ?

- if you get an error message such as
"[11 Jul 2006 13:36:43] ERROR
org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentEngine.doDeploy():636 - Invalid
service  MyService.aar due to Invalid phases please recheck
axis2.xmlloggingPhase for the handler InFlowLogHandler", how can you
best go about
analyzing what's causing it ?

- when I just (1) add the logging.mar from the distribution to the modules
directory; (2) add the line <module ref="logging"/> to my services.xml; and
(3) put <phase name="loggingPhase"/> in to each of the four phaseOrders in
axis2.xml, I get no errors during deployment. However the logging does not
work (with my log4j.properties having DEBUG level for all), and I see the
following lines in the server console, which seems not right, this "null" :

[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler null added to Phase loggingPhase
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler null added to Phase loggingPhase
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler null added to Phase loggingPhase
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler null added to Phase loggingPhase
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler AddressingFinalInHandler added to Phase PreDispatch
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler AddressingSubmissionInHandler added to Phase PreDispatch
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler AddressingOutHandler added to Phase MessageOut
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler AddressingFinalInHandler added to Phase PreDispatch
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler AddressingSubmissionInHandler added to Phase PreDispatch
[11 Jul 2006 13:39:45] DEBUG org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.addHandler():113
- Handler AddressingOutHandler added to Phase MessageOut

Surely it should be easy to add server-side handlers to an Axis2-run web
service ? What is it that I'm missing ?
I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Re: [Axis2] Plz help adding logging module server-side

Posted by heikki <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kinichiro,

I found the problem : the source of the logging handler was actually
different !

Mine was from a nightly build of some 3 weeks ago. The crucial difference
seems to be that in my version, the getName() method from AbstractHandler
was overridden in the log handler, but without providing compensating
functionality : that's why I got the "Handler null added to Phase
loggingPhase" message. If you don't have this problem, the message contains
the name of the handler instead of null.

I don't know where you got your version of the logging handler : do you have
the 1.0 release or do you have a more recent nightly build than I used?

For exactness here are the differences in the handlers :
your correct logging handler :

public class LoggingHandler extends AbstractHandler {

    public LoggingHandler() {
        log = LogFactory.getLog(getClass());
    }

    public void invoke(MessageContext msgContext) throws AxisFault {
        log.info(msgContext.getEnvelope().toString());
    }

    static final long serialVersionUID = 0L;
    private Log log;
}
my non-functioning logging handler :

public class LogHandler extends AbstractHandler implements Handler {

    private static final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(LogHandler.class);
    private QName name;

    public QName getName() {
        return name;
    }

    public void invoke(MessageContext msgContext) throws AxisFault {
        log.info(msgContext.getEnvelope().toString());
    }

    public void revoke(MessageContext msgContext) {
        log.info(msgContext.getEnvelope().toString());
    }

    public void setName(QName name) {
        this.name = name;
    }