Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/04 14:48:57 UTC

Breaking change in donation vis-a-vis mainline Hg NetBeans

I've found a minor "bug" in the donation, documented in NETBEANS-112.
Welcome page is broken and NetBeans attempts to download from aol.com.

The cause has been uncovered: it is due to a DTD file being removed from Hg
(on the donation branch) prior to the actual donation being made. I think I
understand *why* this was done by Oracle: the file isn't theirs to donate.
Still, grrr. I spent 2 hours of digging into this bug and it never occurred
to me that there were breaking changes between donation and mainline Hg
NetBeans. Well, well.

Ok, a broken Welcome page isn't the end of the world. I think the biggest
problem in NETBEANS-112 is that we now have a product which attempts to
contact main page of http://aol.com. This just looks bad. A serious Apache
product shouldn't do that and it might cause
NetBeans to be flagged as malware. Note that this isn't a corner case, it
will happen for every new install of NetBeans until the Welcome page (aka
Startup page) is turned off by the user.

Since I've now spent time digging into it, I might as well figure out a PR
for the specific issue too. For this I need your help, possibly in
particular mentors, as there may be a minor licensing issue to deal with.

For the specific issue, please comment in the Jira ticket. For more general
comments on the changes made to the donation and how we deal with them /
are ware of them, I think this is the appropriate place.

Re: Breaking change in donation vis-a-vis mainline Hg NetBeans

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
How about diffing the both source trees to find those removed dtd or xsd
files?

Sven

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com>.