Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2001/12/05 16:09:52 UTC

Bug reports

I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.

A few things that bug me:

1) java.sql.SQLException: File input/output error: C:\Program
Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\cocoon\WEB-INF\db\cocoondb.backup
	at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:180)
	at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:144)
	at org.hsqldb.Trace.error(Trace.java:205)
	at org.hsqldb.Log.restoreBackup(Log.java:731)
	at org.hsqldb.Log.open(Log.java:212)
	at org.hsqldb.Database.<init>(Database.java:96)
	at org.hsqldb.Server.run(Server.java:137)
	at org.hsqldb.Server.main(Server.java:78)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.ServerImpl.run(ServerImpl.java:101)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I've never been able to make the db work. Have you ever experienced
this?

2) the /referer samples don't work. Probably the header-matcher is
broken or the sitemap section.

3) turning the log-level servlet parameter has no effect

    <init-param>
      <param-name>log-level</param-name>
      <param-value>ERROR</param-value>
    </init-param>

[you have to modify the <logkit> conf file] This is misleading!

4) the default "upload-directory" is "image-dir". Why is that? are we
uploading only images on Cocoon!?!?, let's fix that.

5) the exception contained into a thrown ProcessingException is logged
twice.

6) sample http://localhost/cocoon/documents/doclist returns 404

7) The error page under the /sub sub-sitemap now returns:

> Brought to you by <a href="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/">Apache Cocoon</a>
> in no time!

no time? Cocoon 2.0 might be fast, but it's not *that* fast :)

8) the cache-dir is always empty. I'm still investigating what I'm doing
wrong

9) I get a bunch of NPE out of a missing SAXConnector even if I didn't
enable no logging or profiling. BTW, we shouldn't get NPE out of
component managers since throwing/catching exception is an expensive
operation for the JVM.

Enough for now.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Bug reports

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.
> A few things that bug me:

> 6) sample http://localhost/cocoon/documents/doclist returns 404

This is my attempt to get an auto-generated table of contents.
It does work via "build docs" - you can then reach it from the
side-panel of the home page. I was sure that it used to work
from the Samples page. Anyway, now it does - i just tweaked
samples.xml and committed to add ".html" extension.

Please access it and advise how i can address the Fixme note
that you will see. I tried to discuss the issue a while ago.
"List of Docs - new sample and doco functionality"
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100635501810579&w=2
--David Crossley

Re: Bug reports

Posted by Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>.
> I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.
>
> A few things that bug me:
>
> 1) java.sql.SQLException: File input/output error: C:\Program
> Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\cocoon\WEB-INF\db\cocoondb.backup
> at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:180)
> at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:144)
> at org.hsqldb.Trace.error(Trace.java:205)
> at org.hsqldb.Log.restoreBackup(Log.java:731)
> at org.hsqldb.Log.open(Log.java:212)
> at org.hsqldb.Database.<init>(Database.java:96)
> at org.hsqldb.Server.run(Server.java:137)
> at org.hsqldb.Server.main(Server.java:78)
> at
> org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.ServerImpl.run(ServerImpl.java:101)
>
> I've never been able to make the db work. Have you ever experienced
> this?

Yes, since it became an Avalon component.
Have tried everyting i can think of, including removing the driver loading
from
xconf before building the webapp. No results though. Since we´ve prosponed
our release of our c2 based, I haven´´t really put that much of an effort
into it, but
if there is a simple answer, I´d like to hear it ;-)

<snip>

> 9) I get a bunch of NPE out of a missing SAXConnector even if I didn't
> enable no logging or profiling. BTW, we shouldn't get NPE out of
> component managers since throwing/catching exception is an expensive
> operation for the JVM.

According to a friend of mine, doing extensive performance tests on java
patterns,
trapping a nullpointer with try/catch rather than with an if-statement is
VERY bad.
His number on this was 700 times slower with try/catch

Regards,

Per-Olof

Re: Bug reports

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 05.Dec.2001 -- 04:09 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.
>
> A few things that bug me:

> 2) the /referer samples don't work. Probably the header-matcher is
> broken or the sitemap section.

Stefano,

I have cross-checked this. For me it works. But it was setup so that
the referer header needs to be http://localhost:8080/cocoon/... thus
if you use the hostname or even a FQDN it fails. I've just changed
that so that it matches http://*/cocoon/... instead.

Please check if it still fails for you.

TIA.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Bug reports

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
giacomo wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.
>>
>>A few things that bug me:
>>
>>1) java.sql.SQLException: File input/output error: C:\Program
>>Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\cocoon\WEB-INF\db\cocoondb.backup
>>	at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:180)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:144)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Trace.error(Trace.java:205)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Log.restoreBackup(Log.java:731)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Log.open(Log.java:212)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Database.<init>(Database.java:96)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Server.run(Server.java:137)
>>	at org.hsqldb.Server.main(Server.java:78)
>>	at
>>org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.ServerImpl.run(ServerImpl.java:101)
>>	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
>>
>>I've never been able to make the db work. Have you ever experienced
>>this?
>>

>Must be a win$ problem ;) I don't have it on Linux.

I recently had the same or a similar problem and thought to have traced
it back to the way the servlet container is being shut down. If you
terminate Tomcat instead of properly shutting it down, hsqldb is unable
to clean up and seems to stumble on that when being started again; hope
this helps.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle

Re: Bug reports

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> [...]

Hmmm, that sucks and should be written in the FAQ. The strange thing is
that I *never* shut it down with Ctrl+C. :/

> [skip]
>
> > > 7) The error page under the /sub sub-sitemap now returns:

> Cocoon</a>
> > >
> > > no time? Cocoon 2.0 might be fast, but it's not *that* fast :)
>
> :)))
> That's from webapp/sub/stylesheets/error2html.xsl.
>

> > I can't find this sample either.
>
> Try cocoon/sub/test404 or cocoon/sub/generror
>
> [skip]
>
> > > 9) I get a bunch of NPE out of a missing SAXConnector even if I
> didn't
> > > enable no logging or profiling. BTW, we shouldn't get NPE out of
> > > component managers since throwing/catching exception is an expensive
> > > operation for the JVM.
>
> IIRC, this happens in the line:
>         this.configuredSAXConnector =
> this.manager.hasComponent(SAXConnector.ROLE);
> in AbstractEventPipeline.java. Avalon has to be fixed if you want to
> remove stacktrace from the log.

Ok, I'll investigate further.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: Bug reports

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> [...]

They are giving exceptions here but not "...in no tome"

Giacomo

RE: Bug reports

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Re: Bug reports

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.
>
> A few things that bug me:
>
> 1) java.sql.SQLException: File input/output error: C:\Program
> Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\cocoon\WEB-INF\db\cocoondb.backup
> 	at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:180)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Trace.getError(Trace.java:144)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Trace.error(Trace.java:205)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Log.restoreBackup(Log.java:731)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Log.open(Log.java:212)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Database.<init>(Database.java:96)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Server.run(Server.java:137)
> 	at org.hsqldb.Server.main(Server.java:78)
> 	at
> org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.ServerImpl.run(ServerImpl.java:101)
>
> I've never been able to make the db work. Have you ever experienced
> this?

Must be a win$ problem ;) I don't have it on Linux.

> 2) the /referer samples don't work. Probably the header-matcher is
> broken or the sitemap section.

I havn't found a sample called or located at /referer

RE: Bug reports

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.

*apparently* this is used for logging before the logkit config file is read.
It's also (again, apparently) used if you have no logkit config. (apparently
since I'm only going by past conversations :)

RE: Bug reports

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> >From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
> >

> >I'm finally getting my hand dirty again with the CVS HEAD.
> >

> >8) the cache-dir is always empty. I'm still investigating what I'm doing
> >wrong
> >

> Hmm assumption:
> I think you use the NonCachingxxxPipelines, or? When you use the CachingxxxPipeline,
> then Cocoon object should be swaped out the fs ('cause only CachedxxxObject can
> be serialized to the fs).

The settings from CVS are with Caching...Pipelines. I got nothing in the
cache-dir, too. What could be the cause?

Giacomo

RE: Bug reports

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.