Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Nils Kaiser <Ni...@gmx.de> on 2003/06/19 12:53:36 UTC

sorted index

Hi folks,

I want to use lucene in a gui application (mail manager) and wanted to use
lucene to build an index to create views like (mail from and to
blabla@bla.bla in date range).

The alternative would be to use an embedded database (hsqldb), but that would
mean I can never implement a big file storing mails+index for easy moving of
mail data.

Another issue is the lack of generic sort support in lucene, as I need the
data to be found sorted, and as I know there is no support to sort data at
index time (for each "SortField"), and to query sorted data.

I think the SearchBean isn't fast enough for my purposes as I need very fast
sorting (imagine a view of 10000 mails and you scroll down very fast).

Is lucene the right choice?

I could solve the problem by sorting the data manually and saving the
results... but I would need some kind of incremental add of new documents.
Has someone implemented something like that?

Thx,

Nils