Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by martyhundley <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2013/02/12 18:25:18 UTC

Microsoft Office issues

We have Open Office installed on our office computer, but, anytime I try and open a Microsoft Office document (excel, word, etc.), it will not perform the task. We need help in this matter, because I am sure you are aware, although your product serves our purpose, many other clients use Microsoft Office, and we need this issue resolved to help provide them with proper service. Thank you for your help.
Marty Hundley

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Re: Microsoft Office issues

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
I assume that he should have said something like:

"I am running windows, and when I double click on a DOC file, it opens
in AOO rather than MS Word".

Is this correct? (just trying to figure out what you mean, as is Regina).

On 02/12/2013 02:02 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to help you, we need some further informations:
>
> (1) Which is your operating system?
>
> (2) Which version of Apache OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org do you use?
>
> (3) Which kind of Microsoft Office documents do you try to open, for
> exmaple .doc or .docx or .docx(strict) or .xml or ...?
>
> (4) How do you try to open them? For example double click the document
> icon in the file manager? Or start Apache OpenOffice and use "Open"
> from the start window? Or drag the document icon on an application
> icon? Or...?
>
> (5) What is "not perform the task" exactly? For example "nothing
> happens", or "opens in false application" or "shows text import filter
> settings" or "ask for an application to open with" or ...?
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
>
> martyhundley schrieb:
>> We have Open Office installed on our office computer, but, anytime I
>> try and open a Microsoft Office document (excel, word, etc.), it will
>> not perform the task. We need help in this matter, because I am sure
>> you are aware, although your product serves our purpose, many other
>> clients use Microsoft Office, and we need this issue resolved to help
>> provide them with proper service. Thank you for your help. Marty
>> Hundley
>>

>> Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Microsoft Office issues

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

> When you try to start AOO just in the moment, when it is already
> starting, then two processes exist and no document will open. This
> problem is more likely, when the quickstarter is enabled.

I have seen that a few times; not often however. I just kill all running
instances and then restart it...... the two or three times I have seen
it over the last however many years it has been.

Re: Microsoft Office issues

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Marty,

please do not answer to a single person, but to the list. All
subscribers will get your answer automatically.

I got some answers with private mail.

Regina Henschel schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> to help you, we need some further informations:
>
> (1) Which is your operating system?

Windows 7

> (2) Which version of Apache OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org do you use?

AOO 3.4.1

> (3) Which kind of Microsoft Office documents do you try to open, for
> exmaple .doc or .docx or .docx(strict) or .xml or ...?

.doc

> (4) How do you try to open them? For example double click the document
> icon in the file manager? Or start Apache OpenOffice and use "Open" from
> the start window? Or drag the document icon on an application icon? Or...?

it doesn't matter, it never opens

> (5) What is "not perform the task" exactly? For example "nothing
> happens", or "opens in false application" or "shows text import filter
> settings" or "ask for an application to open with" or ...?

would not open the document.

When you try to start AOO just in the moment, when it is already
starting, then two processes exist and no document will open. This
problem is more likely, when the quickstarter is enabled.

Therefore please try this:

Have a look whether the quickstarter is running. It might be hidden
behind the triangle in the Windows task bar. If yes, set it to not start
automatically and stop it then.

Close AOO totally, if it is open.

Please have a look with the Windows task manager, whether there is still
a process "soffice.bin". If yes, kill all soffice.bin processes.

Restart your PC. First start AOO and then from the file menu try to open
the .doc file. Do not use double-click, so we can first examine one,
clear work-flow.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Microsoft Office issues

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

Re: Microsoft Office issues

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Marty,

and again: Do not write private mails, but sent your mail to the mailing
list.

You wrote me, that AOO sometimes crashes.

Do you see your problems too, when you work with .odt documents?

When it "will not perform the task", did you get any error message?

I have some further ideas:
1. Your user profile might be defect. Try to start AOO with a new user
profile. Read http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426
how to do this.
2. In the unpacked installation set is a folder "redist". It contains
the files vredist_x64.exe and vcredist_86.exe. Install that one, which
fits to your operating system. It contains some C++ libraries, which
might be missing on your PC.
3. There exists a portable version of LibreOffice. It will not conflict
with your current AOO installation. You can try to open the .doc
documents with that version.
4. Have you already tried to "repair" the installation? You find this
option with a right click on "OpenOffice.org 3.4.1" in German Windows 7:
Systemsteuerung > Programme > Programme und Funktionen; in English
likely Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Microsoft Office issues

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Hi Marty, during the install process there is a dialog if you want
OpenOffice to open the MSO formats as well. By default this is activated,
if you skip this step then all your doc,xls,ppt will be opened wiht
OpenOffice.

If you want to reverse this, you will need to do it through Windows Contorl
Panel and default programs.
http://img.techtalkz.com/Default_Program_Win7_5.jpg

You will then be able to go to the extensions and select the MSO programs.

First need to go to File Explorer, go to

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM, martyhundley <ma...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> We have Open Office installed on our office computer, but, anytime I try
> and open a Microsoft Office document (excel, word, etc.), it will not
> perform the task. We need help in this matter, because I am sure you are
> aware, although your product serves our purpose, many other clients use
> Microsoft Office, and we need this issue resolved to help provide them with
> proper service. Thank you for your help.
> Marty Hundley
>

> Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

--
Alexandro Colorado