Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2010/01/28 16:43:13 UTC

Re: svn commit: r903975 - /ofbiz/site/index.html

jacopoc@apache.org wrote:
> Author: jacopoc
> Date: Thu Jan 28 06:53:11 2010
> New Revision: 903975

> Log:
> New blog entry about OFBiz Widgets from HotWax Media blog.

That is an excellent tutorial! I wish we had more like that.

One suggestion though: it might help newcomers to introduce them to the
concept of expressions - since they are used so much in the project. So,
instead of saying "uses the ${...} notation" maybe say something like
"uses the expression ${...}" and then maybe have a link somewhere that
takes them to a page that explains expressions in more detail.

-Adrian

Re: svn commit: r903975 - /ofbiz/site/index.html

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

>>> That is an excellent tutorial! I wish we had more like that.
>>>
>>> One suggestion though: it might help newcomers to introduce them to the concept of expressions - since they are used so much in
>>> the project. So, instead of saying "uses the ${...} notation" maybe say something like "uses the expression ${...}" and then
>>> maybe have a link somewhere that takes them to a page that explains expressions in more detail.
>>>
>>> -Adrian
>>
>> Thank you Adrian, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
>> You are right about the expression, when I write a post I always try to imagine what kind of information a person new to OFBiz
>> would like to read, but it is difficult and, like it happened here, I sometimes miss my target... this makes me think that one of
>> the next posts could be a tutorial on expressions :-)
>
> I've found that experts have a very hard time writing documentation
> for newbies.  They have been involved with whatever for so long, and
> know their target so well, it's almost instinct to them.  It's very
> hard for experts to think like newbies.  What may be obvious to the
> expert, will not be for someone new, so the expert would not think to
> include the explanation for the obvious part.

Obvious for him/her ;o) This is a large part of misunderstanding in our world, well spotted!

Jacques

Re: svn commit: r903975 - /ofbiz/site/index.html

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 28, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> jacopoc@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: jacopoc
>> Date: Thu Jan 28 06:53:11 2010
>> New Revision: 903975
>> Log:
>> New blog entry about OFBiz Widgets from HotWax Media blog.
>
> That is an excellent tutorial! I wish we had more like that.
>
> One suggestion though: it might help newcomers to introduce them to the concept of expressions - since they are used so much in the project. So, instead of saying "uses the ${...} notation" maybe say something like "uses the expression ${...}" and then maybe have a link somewhere that takes them to a page that explains expressions in more detail.
>
> -Adrian

Thank you Adrian, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
You are right about the expression, when I write a post I always try to imagine what kind of information a person new to OFBiz would like to read, but it is difficult and, like it happened here, I sometimes miss my target... this makes me think that one of the next posts could be a tutorial on expressions :-)

Jacopo