Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/03/14 16:28:58 UTC

Cocoon upgrade

Hi all,

For the last week I've been fighting with Cocoon, trying to get something
usable from CVS, and have finally succeeded.

I've also completely rewritten the sitemap, putting the source pipelines
into separate subsitemaps.  Makes the whole thing more user-friendly and
extensible.  In the near future I'd like to further componentize things
like stylesheets and jars, perhaps even adopting Cocoon block
infrastructure.

So if there's no objections, tomorrow I will:

- Tag CVS
- Commit new Cocoon jars and sitemaps
- switch off the forrestbot auto-Forrest-update, judging that it is more
  valuable as a service to Forrest users than a value to Forrest, when
  things are changing so drastically.

--Jeff

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 02:28:58AM +1100, Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For the last week I've been fighting with Cocoon, trying to get something
> usable from CVS, and have finally succeeded.
>
> I've also completely rewritten the sitemap, putting the source pipelines
> into separate subsitemaps.  Makes the whole thing more user-friendly and
> extensible.  In the near future I'd like to further componentize things
> like stylesheets and jars, perhaps even adopting Cocoon block
> infrastructure.
>
> So if there's no objections, tomorrow I will:
>
> - Tag CVS

Okay, I've tagged it as 'before_cocoon_upgrade-20030311'.  People on slow
modems might want to "cvs up -r before_cocoon_upgrade-20030311" and back
up that version, as the next commit contains 7mb of jar upgrades.

--Jeff

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
<snip/>
> > I would love to see Forrest keep pace with Cocoon,
> > and thank Jeff for his work, but Cocoon seems to be
> > still in a disruption phase.
>
> Yes, I am intimately experienced with current Cocoon brokenness ;)
> The snapshot I'm proposing to commit was taken just before the entity
> resolver broke.

Ah, i should have known that you would be on-the-ball.
Please go forth.

--David

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
<snip/>

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:35:15AM -0400, Sergey Missan wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> JT> For the last week I've been fighting with Cocoon, trying to get something
> JT> usable from CVS, and have finally succeeded.
>
> Does it mean we now have images in PDFs? ;)

Ah, good point, I'll test the patch again.

--Jeff

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Sergey Missan <ad...@javable.com>.
Hello Jeff,

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> So if there's no objections, tomorrow I will:

do as you say, I like.

+1

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:44:45PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 14/03/2003 16.28:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >For the last week I've been fighting with Cocoon, trying to get something
> >usable from CVS, and have finally succeeded.
>
> Excellent.
>
> BTW, the last speed reports about optimizations in the CLI (not yet in
> CVS) have brought a time of 4'30' to about 3'30'' (IIRC). Not excactly
> what I hoped for, but still a good start. I'm keeping track of it, and
> have high hopes  :-)

Hope so, because despite some attempts at optimizing, Forrest will become
about 10% slower with the latest Cocoon :/

> >I've also completely rewritten the sitemap, putting the source pipelines
> >into separate subsitemaps.  Makes the whole thing more user-friendly and
> >extensible.  In the near future I'd like to further componentize things
> >like stylesheets and jars, perhaps even adopting Cocoon block
> >infrastructure.
> >
> >So if there's no objections, tomorrow I will:
> >
> >- Tag CVS
> >- Commit new Cocoon jars and sitemaps
>
> Ok. I will then commit the small fixes for the PDF-print-source icons on
> the pages later. If BTW you have removed them from the sitemap, (the
> printable and source matches), +1 to that.

Ah, yes actually.  Good..

> After much thinking: basically I want to substitute the printable-page
> link with a "print" link. Making a specific printabloe page where there
> is a CSS profile for it, I concede, sucks.
>
> As for the source, I want to be able to make it show the content view,
> but I can't get it to work from the CLI.

In the new sitemap, every *.xml file is served from a pipeline, not
directly from the filesystem.  So in index.html, one could simply have
<link href="index.xml">view source</link>.

--Jeff

Re: Cocoon upgrade

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote, On 14/03/2003 16.28:
> Hi all,
>
> For the last week I've been fighting with Cocoon, trying to get something
> usable from CVS, and have finally succeeded.

Excellent.

BTW, the last speed reports about optimizations in the CLI (not yet in
CVS) have brought a time of 4'30' to about 3'30'' (IIRC). Not excactly
what I hoped for, but still a good start. I'm keeping track of it, and
have high hopes  :-)

> I've also completely rewritten the sitemap, putting the source pipelines
> into separate subsitemaps.  Makes the whole thing more user-friendly and
> extensible.  In the near future I'd like to further componentize things
> like stylesheets and jars, perhaps even adopting Cocoon block
> infrastructure.
>
> So if there's no objections, tomorrow I will:
>
> - Tag CVS
> - Commit new Cocoon jars and sitemaps

Ok. I will then commit the small fixes for the PDF-print-source icons on
the pages later. If BTW you have removed them from the sitemap, (the
printable and source matches), +1 to that.

After much thinking: basically I want to substitute the printable-page
link with a "print" link. Making a specific printabloe page where there
is a CSS profile for it, I concede, sucks.

As for the source, I want to be able to make it show the content view,
but I can't get it to work from the CLI.

Anyway, that's the status.

> - switch off the forrestbot auto-Forrest-update, judging that it is more
>   valuable as a service to Forrest users than a value to Forrest, when
>   things are changing so drastically.

Yes, agreed.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -