Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2021/12/29 19:54:48 UTC

[DISCUSS][VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

What “People”. So far you are the only person who seems interested. Leo seemed interested at first but didn’t weigh in on the discussion thread. AFAIK that’s it. Two people does not make a community.

Furthermore, Log4j 1 was declared EOL 6 years ago and has been unsupported for 9 years. It will remain EOL until the PMC says otherwise.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi Leo,

good new year to you!

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022, at 07:12, Leo Simons wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Happy new year everyone!
>
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 8:54 PM Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Leo seemed interested at first but didn’t weigh in on the discussion
>> thread.
>

> I'm here. I did mention in a couple mails I'd be away. Real life happens :).
>
> I think I made clear what I am interested in through several emails and in
> code.
> I've also pointed out what I wouldn't do (like step up as a maintainer on a
> permanent basis, or incubate something).

I think you are very welcome at this place and no matter the outcome of this vote, let us discuss how you can still find an open source home here. I know you have a different opinion, but learning more about Log4j1 I think a person with your skills and dedication is more than welcome in working with log4j 1 migration.

cheers!

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
+1, Option 1

People should migrate to log4j2.

--
Dominik Psenner

Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Makes sense. I will close thus vote not earlier than Jan 5, if there is no further objections. Thanks for  your input Tim

--
The Apache Software Foundation
V.P., Data Privacy

Posted by Tim Perry <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
These show up as two distinct threads In Mail on my MacBook Pro.

FWIW, the PMC is aware of at least two distributions that already seem to fulfill the need of providing patched versions of Log4 1:

1. https://github.com/albfernandez/log4j/
2. https://search.maven.org/artifact/io.confluent/confluent-log4j (The source appears to be in a private repository).

Of course, both of these use different maven coordinates than Apache Log4j so users will have to ensure they exclude the Apache Log4j dependencies.

Ralph

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
If there is long term commitment apart from these urgent fixes we can run another vote.

You cannot guarantee you are alive by February, nobody can give such guarantees.

The logging pmc is not here to accept all patches as they come in but to make decisions best to the project (among other duties).

Once there is a mandate and consent among pmc we most likely try to review and comment on the prs coming in. No guarantees though your pr will be accepted as it is.

That said, we continue to vote in New committers and pmc members as we always have. Prerequisites to become logging committer is long term interest in logging and understanding the ASF way. Also, I daresay, many people here like to add new people when they are adding positive attitude (versus toxic behavior).

I hope all your questions are clarified now and we can continue to discuss (see Ralph's message) on slack and vote in this thread, which is, btw not meant for discussion but for voting.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
You are a member of 2 ASF projects yet you don’t understand how the ASF works?

Log4j is owned by the Logging Services PMC. You cannot incubate it without this PMC’s approval.

You can certainly fork it outside the ASF but you cannot call it Log4j as the ASF owns the trademark.
Sonatype would be unlikely to accept such a project with different maven coordinates that
overlaps the log4j package naming as it would create a dependency mess.