Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com> on 2016/03/15 19:35:56 UTC

[MENTORS] Voting rules / bylaws draft

During the discussion about graduation it was brought up the we should
document the voting rules. My understanding was that these need to
established once we are approved as TLP as we are currently governed by
incubator rules.

I have created the bylaws draft:

<goog_1111302752>
https://github.com/apache/incubator-apex-site/pull/22/files

Looking for mentors review and also confirmation that this completes the
requirements for TLP.

There are 3 JIRAs pending that we are aiming to complete this week (PRs
referenced in 2 of them):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql
=project%20%3D%20APEXCORE%20and%20labels%20%3D%20tlp

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: [MENTORS] Voting rules / bylaws draft

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will work on incorporating it.

We should continue to iterate to make sure the guidelines reflect what we
want and put it for vote. I also think that should happen outside the
graduation discussion and driven by the future PMC?

Thanks,
Thomas

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Just to be clear, it’s not strictly necessary to establish bylaws in order to graduate. The “tasked with creating bylaws” section of graduation resolutions isn’t really necessary, but gets included due to copy/paste.

Bylaws become necessary when you deviate from standard ASF practices. Most voting rules are covered here [1].

That being said, there’s nothing wrong with establishing bylaws at this point. But you should be careful that the PPMC has consensus around what is being proposed, since it can be difficult to change them once established (most projects require a 2/3 majority to change bylaws).

I agree with Alan’s feedback in the pull request.

-Taylor

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.