Posted to user@commons.apache.org by bo...@us.army.mil on 2006/02/22 17:10:22 UTC

Help: When Does An Upload Actually Occur

I apologize if this has already been received once before, but I think I sent it incorrectly, so here it is again:

Please excuse my ignorance, but I can't seem to find when the file upload occurs.  Does it occur when the user submits the file/form and the file is stored to the temp file?  Or is when file is submitted, details such as name and size are submitted, but the file is still on the user's PC waiting to be upload?

I'm look at building a form that accepts large files (100+ MB).  I want to build a progress bar, and request small chunks of the file, and updating the progress bar every time a chunk is successfully uploaded.  In the user guide, it shows writing at:

// Process a file upload
if (writeToFile) {
    File uploadedFile = new File(...);
    item.write(uploadedFile);
}

So I guess to restate my question, is the user's file already uploaded to "item" and is waiting to be written to a permanent file?

Or is the "item" variable just a reference to the file on the user's PC, and is actually uploaded when you call item.write()?

Any clearification on this is greatly appreciated.  :)

Re: Help: When Does An Upload Actually Occur

Posted by Greg Evetts <gr...@evetts.org>.
Bob,

I think you can find the answer in the RFC (
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1867.txt). The actual file content is encoded
into the form. By the time you are processing the request, the file content
(and al other form data) is in a temporary file on the server.

Also, if you're planing to post binary data, you need to encode it on the
client side and decode it on the server. I used base64 encoding. I'm not
sure how a browser encodes; I'd written an applet to create the whole form,
so I have maximum control (and responsibility).

-Greg Evetts