Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@apache.org> on 2007/05/21 18:01:41 UTC

[discussion] archiva-site & version specific documentation.

I'd like to get a discussion going on how to tackle the documentation
present on the site.

:: Javadoc distribution and role ::

I'm a firm believer that the javadoc for a project should be versioned
and always available, even for back versions.
If we use http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections/ as a good
example of this, you'll see that javadoc for version 2.1.1, 3.2, and
SVN-Latest are all available online.

Course, this makes more sense with a library that gets reused, than a
webapp.

I'd like to make the top level aggregated javadoc be versioned into a
neutral (stripped of alpha, beta, rc, SNAPSHOT, etc..) url path, but the
actual generated javadoc contain the those stripped identifiers.

So, archiva-0.9 branch (0.9-alpha-3-SNAPSHOT) goes into
http://maven.apache.org/archiva/apidoc/0.9/
and archiva trunk (1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT) goes into
http://maven.apache.org/archiva/apidoc/1.0/

I'd also like to get as many of the concept details into the javadoc, vs
the site, just to maintain the version specific nature of the documentation.

The per module javadoc.jar files should still be generated and deployed
for the benefit of the IDE users.

:: The archiva-site module ::

Ultimately, this module is really archiva version independent.

Should we try to move this module out of the tree into it's own top level?
Or should we just treat the one in trunk as the 'current' version that
exists on http://maven.apache.org/archiva/ ?

Should we have version specific documentation sections on the left hand
navigation menu?
Or should we have basic menu options, with disambiguation portal pages
to the specific versions?

Some documentation is not version specific, database setup, web
container setup, purpose, configuration (to a limited degree),  getting
started, FAQ, etc...

We can reference/link the latest released javadoc section for the
details on that version.

Any comments?  Suggestion?  Hate Mail?  Silly Jokes?  Unrelated Arguments?

--
- Joakim Erdfelt
  joakime@apache.org

Re: [discussion] archiva-site & version specific documentation.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
To be frank, I haven't payed attention to maven-dev's discussion, as it
seems focused on plugin docs.

I'm too focused on fixing JIRA's, and preparing for 1.0-alpha-1 to worry
about documentation on maven.

-Joakim

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Joakim,