Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> on 2014/04/29 07:16:21 UTC

Re: Change default font setting from TNR to helvetica on macbook pro none of the forum answers work for me HELP!

At 14:11 29/04/2014 +1000, David Jacobs wrote:
>Change default font setting from TNR to helvetica on macbook pro
>none of the forum answers work for me HELP!

It might help to know what "forum answers" you have tried. This may
be just a question of the unusual place where settings are hidden in
the Mac version.

The font settings are different for different types of document. For
text (Writer) documents, go to OpenOffice.org | Preferences |
OpenOffice.org Writer | Basic Fonts (Western) and make your
selections there. But note that any change there can affect either
the current document or else the default for new documents: as you
would hope, it does not change existing documents.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Change default font setting from TNR to helvetica on macbook pro none of the forum answers work for me HELP!

Posted by ci...@gmx.com.
Your initial message has arrived blank in my mailbox for some reason.
However following up on Brian's response, here is how to change the
default font in Writer on your macbook.

Open a new document.
Control click to open the 'right click' dialogue (the equivalent on a
macbook).
Select Edit Paragraph style...
Check that the Paragraph Style at top of the dialogue  is 'default'.
Select the font you want - and any other attributes you desire.
Click OK. You will have now changed the default font for the current
document.
Check the result.

Assuming you want the default for future Writer documents, you now
have to save that document as a template. If so:

Make any other changes you want to the default template.
When you are happy with it, hit 'save as' and save as ODF Text
Document Template (.ott).
You now have two choices.
You can either leave the template on the desktop and click on it each
time you want to open a new doc.
Or you can go through a rather painful process to import the document
into Open Office as a template, in which case it will be served up
automatically each time open a new document from the menu or using
command N. To do this:
Go to file/templates/save
Enter a name
Hit OK
Go to file/templates/organise - this opens Template Management
Click on My Templates folder in the left hand list
Select your file
Click on Commands
Hit 'Select as default template'
Close out.
That should be it.

One warning. Do not call the document 'default' even though this would
seem sensible, as you will hit problems importing because one of that
name already exists. If you want to do this either :
call it 'default 1' or some such; or
open Template Management and delete the existing default template
before importing your one.

NB strongly that there is no marker for the default template in the
file manager, so you are flying blind once it is set. Hence if you are
likely to be tweeking your default template from time to time it is
highly recommended that you give it an obvious name you won't forget
and number each iteration sequentially.

Sorry it is so complex and laborious. In my view it is badly in need
of updating, though get into serious trouble for saying such things.
When time allows, intend to request enhancements so that:

Saved templates are automatically imported, and
Imported templates can be edited - they can't be at the moment, which
is why all this is necessary.
There is a marker in Template Management for the default template.

Either of the first two would make your task infinitely easier.
Especially the first.

Hope it helps. Please come back if you still have problems.