Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Sibert <ch...@attbi.com> on 2002/07/09 00:23:17 UTC

Index smarts

Does the Lucene index keep track of where in the original document it found each term's occurrence ?

For example: Lucene is indexing a file, and one of the terms found was "banana", and "banana" occurred in the file 3 times. Does Lucene save in the index where it found each occurrence of "banana" ? So for example, I could go to the file's offset of position 100 and find "banana". For that matter, does Lucene know that it was found three times, or just that it was found ?

The reason I ask is that when a user searches for something, I might like to just display snippets of the original file where the term was found, instead of the whole thing, because some of the files are quite large.

Re: Tokenization

Posted by Peter Carlson <ca...@bookandhammer.com>.
Using a wildcard search might be useful for you.

So searching for "l*" will find life.

I hope this helps.
--Peter

Tokenization