Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Brendan Vogt <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/26 18:52:43 UTC

Ofbiz Database

Hi,

I am using for Postgres database for my Ofbiz installation.  I usually work
on SQL Server 2005.  And I use stored procedures.  If I have Ofbiz install
on SQL Server, does it make use of stored procedures?  I'm not sure if the
there is support for stored procedures in Java and Posgres?

Regards,

Brendan Vogt

Re: Ofbiz Database

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.
Brendan Vogt wrote:

> But aren't stored procedures good to use to prevent sql injection attacks?
> So what does it implement instead of stored procedures?

Because the User Interface does not talk directly to the database.
This is not a perl or PHP script.

Its more like a VCR playing back a tape. The machine knows to play back the tape
or record, but what's recorded on it can't pause, stop, or rewind the tape.

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/21529

Re: Ofbiz Database

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Brendan Vogt wrote:
> But aren't stored procedures good to use to prevent sql injection attacks?
> So what does it implement instead of stored procedures?

The Entity Engine.

http://ofbiz.apache.org/docs/entity.html

-Adrian

RE: Ofbiz Database

Posted by Brendan Vogt <br...@gmail.com>.
But aren't stored procedures good to use to prevent sql injection attacks?
So what does it implement instead of stored procedures?

> I am using for Postgres database for my Ofbiz installation.  I usually
work
> on SQL Server 2005.  And I use stored procedures.  If I have Ofbiz install
> on SQL Server, does it make use of stored procedures?  I'm not sure if the
> there is support for stored procedures in Java and Posgres?

No, OFBiz does not use stored procedures.

Stored procedures are vendor specific. OFBiz attempts to be database
agnostic by avoiding vendor
specific features.

-Adrian

Re: Ofbiz Database

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Database

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
ofbiz has a layer that converts what ofbiz does to Database language.
Yes the data layer does create Temporary Stored procedures for some
Databases.
however you will not find stored procedures created in any ofbiz code.
not will you find any permanent Stored procedures in the Database
created by ofbiz.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 10/26/2007 9:52 AM:

Re: Ofbiz Database

Posted by Gautam Deb <ga...@gmail.com>.
OFBiz does not use/support stored procedure but you can definitely write
your own JDBC layers for calling stored procedure directly, bypassing OFBiz
entity engine.

To answer your other question, YES Java and Postgres supports stored
procedure/functions. Please go thru the following links -

1. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql.html
2. http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/08/13/stored_procedures.html

Hope this helps.

--