Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2017/09/19 08:05:48 UTC

Seeking Mentors for Google Code-In 2017

Hello Mifos and Apache Fineract communities,

Google just announced it's Google Code-In program will be occurring once
again for the 8th consecutive year. The Mifos Initiative will likely once
again apply to participate in Google Code-In in 2017.

This is Google's program to help introduce pre-university students to open
source where students compete to complete as many bite-sized tasks (3 to 5
hours) as possible across the following buckets: Code,
Documentation/Training, Outreach/Research, Quality Assurance, or User
Interface.

We participated last year and it was an honor to work with talented high
school students and a great way to get many of our newest community members
mobilized as mentors.

Please read our wrap-up post -
http://mifos.org/blog/2016-google-code-in-wrap-up/ - and Rajan's post about
his trip to the GCI event -http://mifos.org/blog/2017-gci-grand-prize-trip/- on
our blog.

Before we submit our application, I wanted to begin capturing who would
like to serve as a mentor. For all of our recent GSOC interns, this is a
great way to begin deepening your role in the community.

This call for mentoring is open to to everyone - you don't have to be a
developer as we need mentors for students working on all the domains.

If you're interested in mentoring, please fill out the form at
https://goo.gl/forms/CI8xbg04hgkLMpmL2 or respond to this mailing list
thread.

A critical part of a successful GCI is a wealth of small tasks - we'll soon
begin generating our list so put on your thinking cap of work you'd like to
see done.

More on the 2017 GCI program can be found below.

Cheers,

Ed

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Thank you to everyone who replied with an interesting in becoming a mentor.

To help us improve the quality of our application and get a good head start
on building out a large pool of tasks, I'd like to have a kick-off call
this Wednesday at 1300GMT to discuss GCI and begin fleshing out tasks prior
to submitting our application.

For those prospective mentors that would like to join the meeting, please
register at https://attendee.gototraining.com/r/5446685221227699713

Thanks,

Ed

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Markus,

Posted by Nikhil Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
 Ed,
As Last year, I would like to participate as a Mentor this year as well.
Regards,Nikhil

    On Wednesday 20 September 2017, 3:50:40 AM GMT-5, Nayan Ambali <na...@rupie.co> wrote:

 Ed, I love to do mentoring for Code-In :)

Hoping my niece will also participate as students.

Please help me on "mentor should at least have signed a Apache iCLA", I
will sign.

>> being an active committer for the project
I am not active in recent times, from today onwards I will do.

>> Right now we have a load of
>> contributions that can only be pulled by current committers and this
leads
>> to doubling the effort of reviewing the already reviewed work.

Ed, I think we need more committers to the projects and it needs attention.

-
Nayan Ambali

Posted by Nayan Ambali <na...@rupie.co>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Markus,

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.
Hey all,

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.
Hey all,

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Thanks. I made that change.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Thanks. I made that change.

Posted by Tarun Mudgal <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ed,

Fwd: Seeking Mentors for Google Code-In 2017

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
FYI. Not sure if this is something we participate as much as GSoC but I
think it would
be useful for some projects to get into this program.

Thanks,
Roman.