Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tim Darling <td...@eng.umd.edu> on 2003/05/02 16:02:54 UTC

I already have a full XML + XSL (w/ JSP) Tomcat system: wil Cocoon work?

I have a working website with Tomcat under Apache.  My Tomcat servlets
serve XML data to the user with a URL like:
  process.ece?action=getXML&XML=xxxx

The XML the servlet serves points the user's browser to the XSL pages
which are served by Tomcat and have JSP in them.

It works in IE but not Netscape for some reason.  I'd like to move away
from serving XML/XSL to the user and 'compile' it to HTML on the server.
Can I use Cocoon?

>From what I've read, Cocoon can do a filter using sitemap.xmap, but my XSL
pages have JSP in them and need to be served by Tomcat -- they include
Session bean data specific for the user so I don't think that will work.

What should I do?  Thanks -T

Re: I already have a full XML + XSL (w/ JSP) Tomcat system: wil Cocoon work?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Yes, this should work.  If I understand correctly, you mean you
are embedding the xsl information as a processing instruction in
the xml and letting the browser do the transformation.

Look into the JSP generator examples for how to get xml from
the output of a JSP.  For the xsl, you may need to use the
context:/ protocol in the src attribute of map:transform to
or possibly even over http like src="http://yourserver/pathtoxsl?param..."

Take it a step at a time and write here for help and advice as you go.

A note of warning, most likely you have been relying on MSXML's
implementation of XSL which is not totally standard.  This means
you may need to adjust your stylesheets to work in a standards
compatible xsl engine when you move this server side.

HTH,
Geoff