Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/03 13:53:11 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate Qpid Broker for Java and Qpid JMS AMQP 0-x Client from SVN to GIT

On 31 March 2017 at 10:57, Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 March 2017 at 12:32, Lorenz Quack <qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 on the migration to git.
>>
>> Regarding the name of the broker's git repo:
>>  * qpid-broker: I agree with others that this might lead to confusions
>>    with the cpp broker.
>>  * qpid-java-broker: I am worried that legal will not be happy with this
>>    since Java is a trademark. See [1] and [2].
>>  * This leaves qpid-broker-for-java and qpid-broker-j.
>> Between those two I favour qpid-broker-for-java since that is what was
>> decided in [1].  I agree that it is a bit wordy but we won't have to
>> type it a lot and it is consistent with the other usages like
>> documentation and representation on the web page.
>>

> So my view here is that "Qpid Broker for Java" is essentially the wrong
> name in every context :-)  The fact that the Broker is written in Java is
> really incidental to its function and unless you are looking at deploying
> on a platform that doesn't support Java, it really shouldn't make any
> difference to an end user. personally I would have gone for qpidj-broker or
> qpid-broker-j for the product name and the repo name.

I agree. I only wish we'd had the same thought a few months back when
the Qpid Broker for Java was named that way :)

I prefer qpid-broker-j.  My suggestion is that we adopt it for both
the new git repo name and the name of the product appearing in notice,
license files, documentation, website and maven metadata descriptions
etc.  The Maven artefact names will be left unchanged.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 3 April 2017 at 15:53, Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 March 2017 at 10:57, Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30 March 2017 at 12:32, Lorenz Quack <qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 on the migration to git.
> >>
> >> Regarding the name of the broker's git repo:
> >>  * qpid-broker: I agree with others that this might lead to confusions
> >>    with the cpp broker.
> >>  * qpid-java-broker: I am worried that legal will not be happy with this
> >>    since Java is a trademark. See [1] and [2].
> >>  * This leaves qpid-broker-for-java and qpid-broker-j.
> >> Between those two I favour qpid-broker-for-java since that is what was
> >> decided in [1].  I agree that it is a bit wordy but we won't have to
> >> type it a lot and it is consistent with the other usages like
> >> documentation and representation on the web page.
> >>

> > So my view here is that "Qpid Broker for Java" is essentially the wrong
> > name in every context :-)  The fact that the Broker is written in Java is
> > really incidental to its function and unless you are looking at deploying
> > on a platform that doesn't support Java, it really shouldn't make any
> > difference to an end user. personally I would have gone for qpidj-broker
> or
> > qpid-broker-j for the product name and the repo name.
>

> I agree. I only wish we'd had the same thought a few months back when
> the Qpid Broker for Java was named that way :)

I think the naming is in some ways simpler now with the broker and client
completely separated.  Each can have a name which properly reflects their
purpose since we don't have a single "for java" combined release.

> I prefer qpid-broker-j.  My suggestion is that we adopt it for both
> the new git repo name and the name of the product appearing in notice,
> license files, documentation, website and maven metadata descriptions
> etc.  The Maven artefact names will be left unchanged.

+1 from me :-)

-- Rob

Posted by Lorenz Quack <qu...@gmail.com>.

On 03/04/17 14:53, Keith W wrote:
> On 31 March 2017 at 10:57, Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30 March 2017 at 12:32, Lorenz Quack <qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on the migration to git.
>>>
>>> Regarding the name of the broker's git repo:
>>>   * qpid-broker: I agree with others that this might lead to confusions
>>>     with the cpp broker.
>>>   * qpid-java-broker: I am worried that legal will not be happy with this
>>>     since Java is a trademark. See [1] and [2].
>>>   * This leaves qpid-broker-for-java and qpid-broker-j.
>>> Between those two I favour qpid-broker-for-java since that is what was
>>> decided in [1].  I agree that it is a bit wordy but we won't have to
>>> type it a lot and it is consistent with the other usages like
>>> documentation and representation on the web page.
>>>

>> So my view here is that "Qpid Broker for Java" is essentially the wrong
>> name in every context :-)  The fact that the Broker is written in Java is
>> really incidental to its function and unless you are looking at deploying
>> on a platform that doesn't support Java, it really shouldn't make any
>> difference to an end user. personally I would have gone for qpidj-broker or
>> qpid-broker-j for the product name and the repo name.
>
> I agree. I only wish we'd had the same thought a few months back when
> the Qpid Broker for Java was named that way :)
>
> I prefer qpid-broker-j.  My suggestion is that we adopt it for both
> the new git repo name and the name of the product appearing in notice,
> license files, documentation, website and maven metadata descriptions
> etc.  The Maven artefact names will be left unchanged.

Fine. I just wanted consistency between all those places you mentioned.
I wanted to avoid the work of changing all of them but I also agree that
the Qpid Broker for Java is not a good name so I'm okay with qpid-broker-j