Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2015/03/31 05:36:05 UTC

River and Docker

Does the Docker registry have any relevance or use for River?

Re: River and Docker

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
There does seem to be some support for Docker on Windows, using
VirtualBox. See https://docs.docker.com/installation/windows/. I have
not yet tried it out.

Re: River and Docker

Posted by Zsolt Kúti <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: River and Docker

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
Docker provides a virtualization approach that allows "containers" to run within a single Linux instance. River could certainly create Docker images. I think we'd have to make sure that the network configuration between docker containers would be setup correctly to have a distributed system composed of River services hosted across Docker containers.

From some online Docker documentation, it seems that communication between containers on the same host is fairly straight-forward and communication between hosts can occur over regular public networks as long as the ports are mapped correctly and the connection information is given to the other party.

There may or may not be issues with River's service discovery and notification, only way to find out would be to create some Docker images and give it a go.

Dennis

Re: River and Docker

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Re: River and Docker