Posted to user@spark.apache.org by io...@barclays.com on 2013/11/19 15:42:28 UTC

Is there a paper or documentation tha explains how Block manager is managed?

I am trying to understand how Spark handles memory caching.

I can see that when application starts, each worker registers a block manager with 66% of the memory assigned to that JVM
>Registering block manager server.xxx:44532 with 3.2 GB RAM

When I run my application and cache some RDDs I can see:
>Added rdd_4_42 in memory on yyy.xxx:35527 (size: 454.8 MB, free: 2.7 GB)

>From the Scala console application UI I can see that some of the block managers have 2 RDD blocks, some 1 and some 0.
I assume that the distribution of blocks is driven by the physical location of the data in HDFS (As I can see mainly NODE_LOCAL operations).

Although in many cases I can see how this boosts performance, I cannot see how I can make use of my full distributed memory. When a worker gets full, I would expect that the next blocks would be sent over the network to other workers available RAM. In practice I do not see this happening. Instead, I mostly get GC overhead exceeded.

On that note, is there a way to instruct a block manager to trigger an eviction at 90% capacity and evict e.g. 50% ? This is required because when for some reason the block manager starts evicting blocks, the latency will become enormous as it will release/gc/allocate (in a full large heaps that takes minutes as it is done iteratively).

Thanks,

Ioannis Deligiannis

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation, advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at: www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see: www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.