Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vincent Sherwood <vi...@itsolutions.ie> on 2023/02/23 12:35:44 UTC

Guacamole Server 1.5 make fails on Rocky Linux 9

I have downloaded guacamole-server-1.5.0.tar.gz and when I try to build it on Rocky Linux 9 I get an error when it is compiling guacenc-video.o - please see below.

Results of ./configure

guacamole-server version 1.5.0

   Library status:

     freerdp2 ............ yes
     pango ............... yes
     libavcodec .......... yes
     libavformat.......... yes
     libavutil ........... yes
     libssh2 ............. yes
     libssl .............. yes
     libswscale .......... yes
     libtelnet ........... yes
     libVNCServer ........ yes
     libvorbis ........... yes
     libpulse ............ yes
     libwebsockets ....... yes
     libwebp ............. yes
     wsock32 ............. no

   Protocol support:

      Kubernetes .... yes
      RDP ........... yes
      SSH ........... yes
      Telnet ........ yes
      VNC ........... yes

   Services / tools:

      guacd ...... yes
      guacenc .... yes
      guaclog .... yes

   FreeRDP plugins: /usr/lib64/freerdp2
   Init scripts: no
   Systemd units: no

Type "make" to compile guacamole-server.

Make fails when it is building guacenc

Making all in src/guacenc
make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/guacamole-server-1.5.0/src/guacenc'
  CC       guacenc-buffer.o
  CC       guacenc-cursor.o
  CC       guacenc-display.o
  CC       guacenc-display-buffers.o
  CC       guacenc-display-image-streams.o
  CC       guacenc-display-flatten.o
  CC       guacenc-display-layers.o
  CC       guacenc-display-sync.o
  CC       guacenc-encode.o
  CC       guacenc-ffmpeg-compat.o
  CC       guacenc-guacenc.o
  CC       guacenc-image-stream.o
  CC       guacenc-instructions.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-blob.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-cfill.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-copy.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-cursor.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-dispose.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-end.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-img.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-mouse.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-move.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-rect.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-shade.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-size.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-sync.o
  CC       guacenc-instruction-transfer.o
  CC       guacenc-jpeg.o
  CC       guacenc-layer.o
  CC       guacenc-log.o
  CC       guacenc-parse.o
  CC       guacenc-png.o
  CC       guacenc-video.o
video.c: In function ‘guacenc_video_alloc’:
video.c:63:22: error: assignment discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
   63 |     container_format = container_format_context->oformat;
      |                      ^
video.c:66:22: error: initialization discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
   66 |     AVCodec* codec = avcodec_find_encoder_by_name(codec_name);
      |                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [Makefile:1126: guacenc-video.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guacamole-server-1.5.0/src/guacenc'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:544: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guacamole-server-1.5.0'
make: *** [Makefile:464: all] Error 2

The only way to get the make to complete is to re-run the configure passing it an argument to ignore warnings

./configure CFLAGS=-w

and then run make again. However, I am concerned that this is potentially just masking a problem.

IT Solutions Email Disclaimer - The information contained in this email message, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and may be legally privileged.

This e-mail is intended only for the personal attention of the stated addressee(s). Any access to this email, including any files transmitted with it, by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any files transmitted with it.

If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete it and all copies from your system. You may not forward this email without the permission of the authorised sender.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the views of IT Solutions or its affiliates. Internet communications are not secure and IT Solutions cannot therefore accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message nor for any damage caused by viruses. This email has been scanned at the originating end. For further information on IT Solutions visit https://www.itsolutions.ie

Re: Guacamole Server 1.5 make fails on Rocky Linux 9

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
> Making all in src/guacenc
> make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/guacamole-server-1.5.0/src/guacenc'
>   CC       guacenc-buffer.o
>   CC       guacenc-cursor.o
>   CC       guacenc-display.o
>   CC       guacenc-display-buffers.o
>   CC       guacenc-display-image-streams.o
>   CC       guacenc-display-flatten.o
>   CC       guacenc-display-layers.o
>   CC       guacenc-display-sync.o
>   CC       guacenc-encode.o
>   CC       guacenc-ffmpeg-compat.o
>   CC       guacenc-guacenc.o
>   CC       guacenc-image-stream.o
>   CC       guacenc-instructions.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-blob.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-cfill.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-copy.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-cursor.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-dispose.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-end.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-img.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-mouse.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-move.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-rect.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-shade.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-size.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-sync.o
>   CC       guacenc-instruction-transfer.o
>   CC       guacenc-jpeg.o
>   CC       guacenc-layer.o
>   CC       guacenc-log.o
>   CC       guacenc-parse.o
>   CC       guacenc-png.o
>   CC       guacenc-video.o
> video.c: In function ‘guacenc_video_alloc’:
> video.c:63:22: error: assignment discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
>    63 |     container_format = container_format_context->oformat;
>       |                      ^
> video.c:66:22: error: initialization discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
>    66 |     AVCodec* codec = avcodec_find_encoder_by_name(codec_name);
>       |                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
> make[2]: *** [Makefile:1126: guacenc-video.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guacamole-server-1.5.0/src/guacenc'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:544: all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guacamole-server-1.5.0'
> make: *** [Makefile:464: all] Error 2

You are running into this issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GUACAMOLE/issues/GUACAMOLE-1714

Which has been fixed in the git master but did not make it into the
1.5.0 release. What you did should be fine - you can also disable the
guacenc build altogether if you don't need that utility, or download
the git repo and build from there.

-Nick