Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Roger E. Rustad, Jr." <sc...@iname.com> on 2004/07/12 04:30:09 UTC

(stupid) SpamAssassin Bayesian question

I haven't actually installed SpamAssassin yet, so please excuse the
ignorance of my question.

SpamAssassin supports Bayesian filtering, right?

http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Bayes.html

The other day, someone from a well known anti-spam vendor just told a room
full of people that SpamAssassin did *not* have it?

Am I missing something?  After all, isn't that what the "sa-learn --spam
/.../folder" command is all about?

Roger

Re: (stupid) SpamAssassin Bayesian question

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.
On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 22:30, Roger E. Rustad, Jr. wrote:
> I haven't actually installed SpamAssassin yet, so please excuse the
> ignorance of my question.
>
> SpamAssassin supports Bayesian filtering, right?
>
> http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Bayes.html
>
> The other day, someone from a well known anti-spam vendor just told a room
> full of people that SpamAssassin did *not* have it?
>
> Am I missing something?  After all, isn't that what the "sa-learn --spam
> /.../folder" command is all about?
>
> Roger

If it doesn't I wonder what those databases are that it keeps and that I
update regularly with sa-learn?

Sounds like FUD to me.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

You may be sure that when a man begins to call himself a "realist," he
is preparing to do something he is secretly ashamed of doing.
		-- Sydney Harris

Re: (stupid) SpamAssassin Bayesian question

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 07:30:09PM -0700, Roger E. Rustad, Jr. wrote:
>
>>The other day, someone from a well known anti-spam vendor just told a room
>>full of people that SpamAssassin did *not* have it?

Tell us which vendor, so we can avoid them like the clueless plague that
they are. :P~

Re: (stupid) SpamAssassin Bayesian question

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 07:30:09PM -0700, Roger E. Rustad, Jr. wrote:
> The other day, someone from a well known anti-spam vendor just told a room
> full of people that SpamAssassin did *not* have it?

Heh.  I guess it depends what version they were talking about.  Bayes was
added in 2.50 (Feb 2003), and has been available in every version since.

So if they were going on about how v2.20 sucks these and how it doesn't
have Bayes ... <g>

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"My spleen is twice the size of a normal human spleen.  This isn't