Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Lucas Stanley <lu...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 03:42:29 UTC

Failure scenarios in HBase

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how failures are handled in HBase.

One Disk Failure:
If one disk on a Region Server fails and some HFiles are lost on that
machine, how will that Region Server handle incoming reads for the missing
data? Will the HRegion read from a remote node's replicated HFile over the
network? Will this cause the reads to be slow for this particular set of
data?

Full node failure:
Also, if a Region Server complete crashes/panics, will some reads fail for
a few minutes? If that crashed Region Server was hosting 5 regions, I guess
it will take some time for other nodes to take over those regions and
replay the WAL. So, can I expect a few minutes of downtime before I can
read from the crashed regions again?

Re: Failure scenarios in HBase

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Lucas:
You can also find some interesting discussion in HBASE-8701 where we try to
handle the case where concurrent writes to the region server carry the same
timestamp as some of the Puts that are being replayed.

Cheers

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.