Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2017/02/07 22:55:29 UTC

Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha3 release planning

Hi folks,

I wanted to drop a note on the current plan for 3.0.0-alpha3.

The main development tasks targeted for alpha3 is finishing all
incompatible changes related to HDFS erasure coding and the Tomcat->Jetty
conversion for HTTPFS. This is reflected in the 2017-02-03 status update I
wrote on the wiki [1]. Pulling in any of the remaining issues targeted for
beta1 would of course also be great.

I also updated the target release dates on the main Hadoop 3 wiki page [2]
with alpha3 now planned for mid-April. This reflects the amount of must-do
HDFS EC JIRAs remaining; we've been making steady progress, but there's
still a good number to complete.

We're also looking for interested users to help us test the Hadoop 3
releases. alpha2 is a great time to get more involved, since almost all of
the big features have landed, and we're planning to freeze compatibility in
beta1.

So, if you're interested in new Hadoop 3 features like HDFS erasure coding,
the shaded client JARs, TSv2, shell script rewrite, etc., please reach out
here on common-dev or even to myself or Ray directly if we can assist in
any way.

Thanks,
Andrew

[1]