Posted to user@river.apache.org by bill pickup <bi...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/10/01 23:34:05 UTC

Re: OSGi, of that ilk...

Greetings again,
Good to know that service-driven fusion is alive and kicking!

For my part, I propose a move backward to go forward, & work the ProSyst org.osgi.service.jini spec. However, Peter is correct in directing a formal solution at a later date, as the two frameworks should be friends.
The Felix solution should take a few days more, it cheats, of course - it's not what it is, but that it is, pro tem.
Bill

     On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:44 PM, Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com> wrote:

 I think such attempts, in the past, have been fraught with failure.
The primary reason, I surmise, is that River requires code downloading
(and thus, a very different classloading scheme).

I myself can foresee a very elegant marriage between the two
technologies, where downloaded code is automatically
installed as bundles in the OSGi runtime (and perhaps automatically
removed, if necessary), but there are probably many
subtle complexities.

As a strong, production-time user of both technologies, I would
absolutely love to see progress in making the two play together.

How do you propose we move forward?

regards,
Dawid Loubser