Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2006/05/11 12:19:41 UTC

[collections] 3.2 RC1 feedback

Hi,

There doesn't seem to be an svn tag for this RC1 release. I'm presuming
nothing has changed on trunk since this RC was created.

MultiValueMap was supposedly added in the 3.2 release, but has a
copyright statement listing 2001-2005.

Javadoc for GrowthList:
  "seemlessly grow" --> "seamlessly grow"
  "invalid inde" --> "invalid index"
and a suggestion:
  "could easily be used together" --> "can be used together"

The ReverseListIterator class doesn't have an @since annotation.

The javadoc for the BoundedBuffer class looks a bit rough. There are
some visual problems, and more importantly documentation on the timeout
behaviour seems a little lacking.

What do the release notes mean by "Transformed*Map". Is this just
TransformedMap and TransformedSortedMap?

The PriorityBuffer javadocs should perhaps note that the class was made
Serializable in release 3.2.

Class ListIteratorWrapper should perhaps note that it implements
ResettableListIterator since 3.2.

What does this mean in the release notes?
<quote>
All/Any/One/None Predicate - allow construction with zero or one
predicates [37979]
</quote>
I can't see any info in the javadocs for this class that suggest any
changes here.

Trivial notes:
Javadoc for ExtendedProperties:
  "appended like if" --> "appended as if"

Otherwise, docs and design all looks really nice. New features are
nicely described, and the APIs seem clean. These are some interesting
new features.

I would like to see the major points above addressed, but don't think
anything here requires a new release candidate.

If a clirr report shows that there are no backwards-compatibility issues
then I'd be happy to vote +1. Unfortunately I don't have time to do that
check tonight, so if you need my vote it will have to be in about 24
hours from now...

Cheers,

Simon

Re: [collections] 3.2 RC1 feedback

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 20:55 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, I'll fix the stuff mentioned before release.
>
> The clirr report is available from an 'ant clirr'. It shows no issues:

> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.BufferUtils: Method 'public
> org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer
> blockingBuffer(org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer, long)' has been added
> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.BufferUtils: Method 'public
> org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer
> boundedBuffer(org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer, int)' has been added
> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.BufferUtils: Method 'public
> org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer
> boundedBuffer(org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer, int, long)' has
> been added

None of these changes are in the release notes (though all are correctly
documented with @since 1.2). Admittedly, they are implied by the
addition of the new constructors on BlockingBuffer and BoundedBuffer
which are documented. Still, I think a one-line entry in the release
notes saying that the BufferUtils class has been extended to match the
new constructors would be nice.

> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.ClosureUtils: Method 'public
> org.apache.commons.collections.Closure
> ifClosure(org.apache.commons.collections.Predicate,
> org.apache.commons.collections.Closure)' has been added

As for BufferUtils above.

> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.IteratorUtils: Method 'public
> org.apache.commons.collections.ResettableIterator
> loopingListIterator(java.util.List)' has been added

As for BufferUtils

> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
> java.util.Map multiValueMap(java.util.Map)' has been added
> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
> java.util.Map multiValueMap(java.util.Map, java.lang.Class)' has been added
> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
> java.util.Map multiValueMap(java.util.Map,
> org.apache.commons.collections.Factory)' has been added

As for BufferUtils

> INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BlockingBuffer: Method
> 'public org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer
> decorate(org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer, long)' has been added

Not mentioned in release notes.

These are pretty trivial points. All the methods above *do* have the
correct @since info.

More importantly, there seem to be no backwards compatibility issues. So
as long as the Manifest issue raised by Robert is dealt with, I'm +1 on
this release.

Congrats to all the contributors to the 3.2 fixes and features; this all
looks like good stuff.

Regards,

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
[...]

INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils: Method
'public boolean addIgnoreNull(java.util.Collection, java.lang.Object)'
has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils: Method
'public boolean isEmpty(java.util.Collection)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils: Method
'public boolean isNotEmpty(java.util.Collection)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils: Method
'public java.util.Collection removeAll(java.util.Collection,
java.util.Collection)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils: Method
'public java.util.Collection retainAll(java.util.Collection,
java.util.Collection)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils: Method
'public boolean sizeIsEmpty(java.lang.Object)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties: Method
'public java.util.List getList(java.lang.String)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.ExtendedProperties: Method
'public java.util.List getList(java.lang.String, java.util.List)' has
been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.IteratorUtils: Method 'public
org.apache.commons.collections.ResettableIterator
loopingListIterator(java.util.List)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.ListUtils: Method 'public
java.util.List removeAll(java.util.Collection, java.util.Collection)'
has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.ListUtils: Method 'public
java.util.List retainAll(java.util.Collection, java.util.Collection)'
has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
boolean isEmpty(java.util.Map)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
boolean isNotEmpty(java.util.Map)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
java.util.Map multiValueMap(java.util.Map)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
java.util.Map multiValueMap(java.util.Map, java.lang.Class)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
java.util.Map multiValueMap(java.util.Map,
org.apache.commons.collections.Factory)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MapUtils: Method 'public
java.util.Map putAll(java.util.Map, java.lang.Object[])' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.MultiHashMap: Method 'public
void putAll(java.util.Map)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BlockingBuffer: Method
'protected BlockingBuffer(org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer, long)'
has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BlockingBuffer: Method
'public org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer
decorate(org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer, long)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BlockingBuffer: Method
'public java.lang.Object get(long)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BlockingBuffer: Method
'public java.lang.Object remove(long)' has been added
INFO: 8000: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BoundedBuffer: Class
org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.BoundedBuffer added
INFO: 4000: org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.PriorityBuffer: Added
java.io.Serializable to the set of implemented interfaces
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.functors.IfClosure: Method
'public IfClosure(org.apache.commons.collections.Predicate,
org.apache.commons.collections.Closure)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.functors.IfClosure: Method
'public org.apache.commons.collections.Closure
getInstance(org.apache.commons.collections.Predicate,
org.apache.commons.collections.Closure)' has been added
INFO: 4000:
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.ListIteratorWrapper: Added
org.apache.commons.collections.ResettableIterator to the set of
implemented interfaces
INFO: 4000:
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.ListIteratorWrapper: Added
org.apache.commons.collections.ResettableListIterator to the set of
implemented interfaces
INFO: 7011:
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.ListIteratorWrapper: Method
'public void reset()' has been added
INFO: 8000:
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.LoopingListIterator: Class
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.LoopingListIterator added
INFO: 8000:
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.ReverseListIterator: Class
org.apache.commons.collections.iterators.ReverseListIterator added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.list.CursorableLinkedList:
Method 'protected java.util.ListIterator
createSubListListIterator(org.apache.commons.collections.list.AbstractLinkedList$LinkedSubList,
int)' has been added
INFO: 7011:
org.apache.commons.collections.list.CursorableLinkedList$Cursor: Method
'public void remove()' has been added
INFO: 8000:
org.apache.commons.collections.list.CursorableLinkedList$SubCursor:
Class org.apache.commons.collections.list.CursorableLinkedList$SubCursor
added
INFO: 8000: org.apache.commons.collections.list.GrowthList: Class
org.apache.commons.collections.list.GrowthList added
INFO: 8000: org.apache.commons.collections.map.DefaultedMap: Class
org.apache.commons.collections.map.DefaultedMap added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.map.ListOrderedMap: Method
'public java.util.List keyList()' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.map.ListOrderedMap: Method
'public java.lang.Object put(int, java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object)'
has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.map.ListOrderedMap: Method
'public java.lang.Object setValue(int, java.lang.Object)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.map.ListOrderedMap: Method
'public java.util.List valueList()' has been added
INFO: 8000: org.apache.commons.collections.map.MultiValueMap: Class
org.apache.commons.collections.map.MultiValueMap added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.map.TransformedMap: Method
'public java.util.Map decorateTransform(java.util.Map,
org.apache.commons.collections.Transformer,
org.apache.commons.collections.Transformer)' has been added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.collections.map.TransformedSortedMap:
Method 'public java.util.SortedMap
decorateTransform(java.util.SortedMap,
org.apache.commons.collections.Transformer,
org.apache.commons.collections.Transformer)' has been added

I deliberately disabled the cobertura and jdiff reports as my laptop is
rubbish and crashes when running the reports.

Stephen