Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com> on 2015/06/01 22:02:14 UTC

Re: Broker error: "failed due to Leader not local for partition"

"failed due to leader not local for partition" usually occurs in response
to client requests that make a fetch or produce request to a partition, to
the wrong broker (e.g. to a follower and not the leader for the
partition).  Clients need to make a meta-data request first to determine
the leader replica for a partition, etc.  If you clients that are not well
behaved (e.g. they should re-poll the partition meta-data on error), then
you get these exceptions repeatedly.  However, it's normal to see these
messages occasionally, as it's the primary way that clients get notified of
a partition leadership change.

Jason